Why are casing so close in size to each other? And why so expensive??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313-2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 13, 2023
16 mm, 17mm , 19 mm 20 and 21 and I think 22

Why is this?

The price seems pretty high to on them. Ads a dollar per pound just in casings alone

Just bought 19 mm and going to pay attention how tight they are on the horn. I used the high mt kit and I’m thinking they use a touch smaller casing because they were a little tighter on the horn I think. Doesn’t say the size on the box tho from high mt. The 19 mm ones from cabelas did tho. But seemed to break easy hanging and that was a lot of the complaints on the reviews. Just bought some from Lem 19 mm

Not sure why so much $$. I think you will like the 19mm. Way better for sticks than 21mm in my opinion. Sheep casings are expensive and suck to deal with I. My couple of attempts

Reactions: motolife313-2
In addition to personal preference, casing size has an effect on number of links per pound.

I use 29/32 hog casing for sausage, and the first time I made frankfurters I bought 24/26 sheep casing. Downsizing just 3 or 4 mm really increased my yield.

I gota try the hog casing soon. What do you guys think about them compared to collegen?

Doing about 35 pounds on Sunday. Pork shoulder , chicken and pork belly, along with dried cherry, dried pineapple, jalapeño and cheese

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky