How I came up with the "Cranky Blend" pellet mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
For the last several smokes I've been using my own blend of pellets and the flavor has really been good. This was discovered by some serious trial and error spanning over several months of intensive field testing!

Ok, I screwed up, but the results are good.

A couple know this story, and I'll leave them nameless for now, but here's how it all went down...

I was cleaning the garage a bit and found a box on a shelf from AMAZEN Products that had 2 bags of pellets in it. 5# of apple and 5# of pecan, still in the sealed bags.

Well, I have buckets for each flavor of pellet that I use, so I went over and got the bucket out for pecan. It had maybe a handful of pellets in it, so I dumped in the new bag. It was hot in the garage, so I went in for a drink. After mixing up a good one, my bride came in and we began to chat, well she can be very chatty, and before you know it, I made another drink... see where I'm heading?

She and I went into the garage and I grabbed the other bag of pellets, sliced it open, and as soon as I dumped them into the bucket I said something along the line of "well darn", actually it was worse than that, but this is a family forum. The bride asked what was up and I told her what I had just done. After she finished laughing, she informed me that I probably couldn't separate them at this point and I may as well just dump in a partial bag of pellets that was on the shelf where the box had been.

I looked at the bag and it was mesquite pellets, I told her that wasn't a good idea, and then I went in to make another drink. While I was in the house, guess what she did... Yep, I'm guessing that bag was about 1.5-2#.

I figured what the heck, the next thing I had been planning to smoke was a brisket for HER family for Easter, so they could be my guinea pigs! :devil:

I loaded up my 18" tube and lit it, and let it burn for the entire smoke! The smell was definitely different and the flavor was outstanding! Everyone asked what I had done differently.

I told them it was a special blend of woods that commingled well with the prime beef brisket I had special ordered for them. My bride said it was a normal brisket from Sam's and a drunken accident that paid off with the smoke... Ya gotta love an honest wife sometimes... Sometimes!

So, for the record, I just ordered more pecan, apple, and mesquite pellets! This blend has been good on chicken, pork, and some hot smoked salmon! I plan to use this quite a bit and can't wait to see what the flavor is on some snack sticks!

So there you have it, the successful oops!

I was going to post a picture of the pellet blend, but it doesn't look as impressive as it sounds. :biggrin:

Okay, I'm finding it hard to type because my sightline is jiggling up and down as I keep laughing!  WHAT A GREAT STORY! 
yahoo.gif

My wife says ALL THE TIME the best flavors are often a result of mistakes, whiskey fueled or otherwise. 

points1.png

thumb1.gif

Sounds more like a "Whisky Blend" to me! 
devil.gif
 Thanks for the funny!

I have a can that I dump out  all of the remaining unburnt pellets of the AMNPS into (cold the next day). I see no sense in throwing them away!  It is presently a combination of Pecan, Cherry, and Alder. Just this weekend I made up another batch of Bears Beef loaf for slicing and used that mix of pellets. It was FAR better than the last batch that I smoked with straight Pecan! with no other changes. I have now reconsidered blends as superior to single type of wood smoke.

I think the take-away here is that there is no such thing as the wrong type of wood or flavor to stereotype to a given meat. Blending creates indescribable combinations. In fact I think it layers the flavors rather than what I thought would distract from each other. I will definitely try your pecan, apple, and mesquite.

Great story.  The things that happen when drinking.

So the mix is 5lb x 5lb x 1.5-2lb.

Got it.

The apple and pecan I figured would be ok, but the mesquite made me wonder honestly. However, it turned out nicely and I'll continue to use it.

Just another great aspect of this hobby (madness) is how we get to experiment, even when it's whiskey fueled! :laugh1:

Yeah, yeah, ya got drunk and ended up with a mongrel bucket of pellets.

Now to the question that matters. What was the cocktail?!?

Last edited:
At least you didn't have three more and forgot the whole damn thing!

Cause next year your relatives would be,

"What happened to that great smoke blend ya all
Had last year!"

I've been wanting to rotisserie the last couple days and can't remember where I put the rod for the root!

I was interrupted by the wife when I was putting it where I wanted it...

Interesting. I may have to order a small bag of mesquite from Todd now. I've shied away from it before, because of the strong flavor. Even mesquite charcoal can really determine the flavor of a steak.

Yeah, yeah, ya got drunk and ended up with a mongrel bucket of pellets.

Now to the question that matters. What was the cocktail?!?

Well Crown and Coke of course!

I bet everyone was as lit as the pellets and anything would've tasted great and been singing high praises to the chef. :biggrin:

I'm betting a blended bourbon led to the blended pellets.

5# Apple
5# Pecan
1.5-2# Mesquite

No adult beverages permitted at the inlaws! Out of the whole clan, I think there's only a couple that partake. I get prayed for, a lot! :sausage:

Interesting. I may have to order a small bag of mesquite from Todd now. I've shied away from it before, because of the strong flavor. Even mesquite charcoal can really determine the flavor of a steak.

No doubt! Lol!

I think the smaller amount of mesquite would add some depth. I think I'll try adding a couple of pucks of mesquite next time I smoke.

Now and then while the smoke is rolling, you'll get a whiff of the mesquite. Same when you're eating, just a hint now and then.

No adult beverages permitted at the inlaws! Out of the whole clan, I think there's only a couple that partake. I get prayed for, a lot!
sausage.gif

Oh, I hear that! Half my in-laws are in AA, and I get an icy glare from the wife if I even think about opening something.  
th_crybaby2.gif

No adult beverages permitted at the inlaws! Out of the whole clan, I think there's only a couple that partake. I get prayed for, a lot! :sausage:
Well, I've been a teetotaler for 21+ years.
I once had a problem, but that was another person in another life.
Never did any of the AA or etc, just God and a woman who loved me.

Last edited:
Reactions: crankybuzzard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky