How Do You Know When You’re Getting Old?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

When people start racking up the years, they all use different points of life to determine if they are getting old.
We also wish ourselves old—Times Like:
When I was a Kid, I couldn’t wait ’til I was 12 years old, so I could go hunting with my Dad.
Then at 14, Hunting with my Brother, and 16 by myself.
Then All my childhood, I couldn’t wait until I was 16, so I could legally Drive a car.
Plus I always couldn’t wait for Christmas, Birthdays, 4th of July, Summer for Baseball, and Winter for Ice Skating.
Then once I was in the Army, I couldn’t wait for the 3 years to be up, so I could get out.
I couldn’t wait to get out of Vietnam, and once home I had to wait to be old enough to get served legally, in a bar.
So here I was, back from the Vietnam War, and I had to get my Wife to buy me a case of Beer!!!
Next thing you know I’m 40 years old!! Was that Old?? Nah!

How ‘bout 50? Nah!

60? Nah !

70 years Old? Nah, not yet !!

73 years old a couple weeks ago, on Jan 3 ??? Nah, still not old.

However Yesterday My Son, “Bear Junior” turned 50 years old——Now I’m Freaking Old.
My Son is 50, I’m definitely Old.

All the aches & pains I’ve had over the years weren’t from age. They were more from working without proper dust protection, living in the Agent Orange killing zone, too much Artillery, Doctors screwing up, and of course Smoking (cigarettes, not Meat).
However now that my Son turned 50, I’m no longer in a hurry for anything, and I realize I really am Old.
And I don’t feel a day over 95 !!

Bear

When people start racking up the years, they all use different points of life to determine if they are getting old.
When I was a Kid, I couldn’t wait ’til I was 12 years old, so I could go hunting with my Dad.
Then All my childhood, I couldn’t wait until I was 16, so I could legally Drive a car.
Plus I always couldn’t wait for Christmas, Birthdays, 4th of July, Summer for Baseball, and Winter for Ice Skating.
Then once I was in the Army, I couldn’t wait for the 3 years to be up, so I could get out.
I couldn’t wait to get out of Vietnam, and once home I had to wait to be old enough to get served legally, in a bar.
So here I was, back from the Vietnam War, and I had to get my Wife to buy me a case of Beer!!!

How ‘bout 50? Nah!

60? Nah !

However Yesterday My Son, “Bear Junior” turned 50 years old——Now I’m Freaking Old.

All the aches & pains I’ve had over the years weren’t from age. They were more from working without proper dust protection, living in the Agent Orange killing zone, too much Artillery, Doctors screwing up, and of course Smoking (cigarettes, not Meat).
However now that my Son turned 50, I’m no longer in a hurry for anything, and I realize I really am Old.

Bear
Happy belated Birthdaze!

Bear,

My dad was the same way when I turned 50. Now at 54, getting ready to turn 55, he now said " I am old". My dad also served in the Army as I did he also was in Nam and was hit with Agent Orange.

But with all of that He has more Knowledge and has forgot more then I will ever learn and I must believe Its the same for you.

I told him don't think of it as old, but as full of knowledge!

Reactions: kit s
Hmmm age they say it is all in the mind....and then just when I get ambitious (mind says go for it), the body just puts a whoa to that shiest, or at least a slow down. I keep telling my self I am doing it smarter not harder...well one can only wish that were true...lol...

Your not old bear, your just not as young as ya used to be, happy belated birthday, from another January baby.

And so, it happens Hahaha. Age is a sneaky devil just glad I'm not as old as you! Hahaha
My oldest will be 58 in June LOL. The youngest will be 50 LOL

Warren

Happy belated Birthday Bear and Bear Junior! My father and I were talking about this over Thanksgiving, wondering why time starts to go faster as we get older and how our brains cant keep up. I'm knocking on 50s door and still feel 25 in my brain. My pop is over 80 and he still thinks he's 40. After our third drink we decided that it was because of experience, he's experienced so much that what used to be significant is now on its 8th or 80th lap around the track. But his brain is still active and curious and telling him to do things so the world is fresh every morning, but what used to be significant is now normal. It takes larger milestones to hit home for him now . . . and I'm starting to get that way too.

This is so close to home for me. I turn 50 this year. Dad was in Vietnam, had the Agent Orange thing, smoked and drank and still does too. My Dad looked 35ish a VERY long time but now is fully gray and looks like you say, old. I think he might be finally accepting it but he was really one ornery SOB a while because he couldn't do what he used to. Happy Birthday John and agree that age is a state of mind and that makes me 23 or 24 LOL.

Last edited:
Yeah , the kids age makes it hit home . I turned 61 end of December . If I wasn't overweight and hung over , I'd feel pretty good .
Every time the orthopedic surgeon looks at my xrays he asks "How old are you"
I told him 61 , he says well you look 50 on the outside , but you're way over 100 on the inside .

Hit the 60 mark last May. Back in the day I didn't think I would ever make it to this age. Work and lifestyle made it difficult at times. Some days I feel like 40, others closer to 80.
But retired, just kinda go with the flow.

Well Bear , I will wish you happy Birthday again.
And 1 for Jr.

Love the story about ageing and yes once the kids get up there , thats when it hits home ( Son 44 this year )

I find when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror , I'm saying that's not right, rub my eyes than say oh Sh!!

Life goes on , grin and Bear it, Keep cooking John

David

How ‘bout 50? Nah!

60? Nah !

Bear
LMBO off Bear-----------------------------------------------

Happy belated Birthdaze!

Thank You!!
Bear

Bear,

My dad was the same way when I turned 50. Now at 54, getting ready to turn 55, he now said " I am old". My dad also served in the Army as I did he also was in Nam and was hit with Agent Orange.

But with all of that He has more Knowledge and has forgot more then I will ever learn and I must believe Its the same for you.

I told him don't think of it as old, but as full of knowledge!

Thank You Raven!!
And Give Your Dad a "Welcome Home" From The Bear !!

Bear

Hmmm age they say it is all in the mind....and then just when I get ambitious (mind says go for it), the body just puts a whoa to that shiest, or at least a slow down. I keep telling my self I am doing it smarter not harder...well one can only wish that were true...lol...

Thank You Kit !!
Problem is years ago "Harder was still easier than Smarter is Today".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky