How do you clean your dehydrator trays?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
i have a Open Country dehydrator from Bass Pro that i dry veggies, peppers, and meats on. I haven't found a convenient and thorough way to clean it because the trays are bigger then my sink. 

How do you guys clean yours? soak them in large plastic containers and rinse off? i wanna make sure i get all meat residue out to prevent contamination. 

thanks in advance

I also have small sinks but I'm fortunate I can take mine to work and run them through the commercial dishwasher. For home maybe go with shallow plastic containers and use the 3 sink method outside.....one for wash/soak, one for rinse and one with a sanitizer solution then let air dry.

LOL i do have a dishwasher but they are to tall (standing sideways) for the DW.  I did think about putting them in laying down but i though i'd have to do one at a time.  Never thought of stacking them like they do in the dehydrator in the DW but that's a good idea.  i could probably get away with washing 3 at a time. 

i just didn't think that would clean them all the way though but might try that tonight!

if not i'll try the 3 stage deal....

thanks everyone

Many dishwashers will allow you to remove the top tray, unless the upper wash sprayer is part of the upper drawer tray. If the washer is not part of the tray, pull out the upper drawer to the stop and lift up on the front of the drawer. You'll be able to easily tell if it can removed easily. it gives me 9 or 10 inches in height and the trays all fit standing on edge and leaned against the side.

Good luck.

dw01

thanks for all the posts...i am using my dishwasher now and just stacking 1 load with 3 trays and then another with 2.  so 2 loads to wash but much easier then hand washing!

thanks

Check the material of your racks. If they are polycarbonate/lexan, I would not use the dishwasher soap. It is an alkaline soap and polycarbonate does not do well in that environment. It cracks and crazes. You could try hot water only and no drying cycle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky