How do you pack efficiently for Competitions/Vending?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Just kind of curious and wanted to see other people's techniques for packing up efficiently for BBQ Events. I feel like i've drastically improved the way i pack up but i feel like there is still room for improvement and I always have a mishmash of stuff everywhere after i pack up after a long weekend of cooking.

My current packing plan goes a little something like this 

- Trailer holds our tables, chairs, wood, "frontage", and canopy poles

- Small "cook box" tupperware that hold Thermos, Knifes, Gloves, Towels

- Deep tupperware holds cleaning supplies like 409, hand sanitizer, gloves, paper towels

- Larger deep tupperwear holds cutting boards, larger vending supplies like 100oz cans of beans, large containers with my sauce, etcc

- Two 120 Quart Colman 5-day coolers. One holds Meat (I try to keep poultry in a sealed container to prevent leaking and contamination). The other generally holds Drinks (beer and water) and veggies and other non-meat stuff that needs to keep cold

- Cambro in my back seat filled with metal trays for later use and sometimes i'll put my large seasoning containers in here as well

- Cups for vending....these are generally a PITA because they cant easily be compactly stored so they usually end up in any knook and crany on top of everything

That's most of it...now that i write it all out it seems like maybe i am packing efficiently haha. But curious what others do. AND how do you try to stay organized as you wind down and have dirty dishes (assuming you dont have access to a sink or cleaning station) and fight the urge to just throw it all in a box and clean it when you get home because your exhausted?

Make a checklist of absolutely EVERYTHING you need.  I don't compete but I make some extended trips that involve a LOT of equipment.  Once I started making checklists I stopped unintentionally leaving things behind then remembering them once I was too far away (or on an airplane) to return for them.  

One rule I have adopted: Never Pack In A Hurry.
This is my #1 problem! I'm always packing the night before. I'm trying to get better about gradually packing over the course of the week

Make a checklist of absolutely EVERYTHING you need.  I don't compete but I make some extended trips that involve a LOT of equipment.  Once I started making checklists I stopped unintentionally leaving things behind then remembering them once I was too far away (or on an airplane) to return for them.  
I need to make a re-useable checklist. Sometimes i'll copy and paste an old one or i'll create a new/updated one but i never have EVERYTHING i need on it LOL

Good advice guys!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky