Hot plate cutout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timoteo

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Hi, I live in southern Spain. I'm completely new to smoking. I've built a small plywood smoker( approx 1 m x 40 x40) but I have a problem with the hot plate ... it cuts out just as smoke starts to get going. Obviously it's a safety cutout. My question is can I bypass the cutout? Or are there special hotplates for smokers?

Can you bypass the shut off ? yes. Would i recommend it ? no would i do it if it was mine ? yes.

If you bypass the cut-out, the increased temp of the hot plate could melt all the other stuff on the hot plate and start a fire and possibly poisonous fumes if the "stuff" is some sort of high temp plastic.... You can strip the hot plate of stuff that will melt and build a metal framework..... That takes some skill and an understanding of electric wiring...... and VERY POSSIBLY an electric shock hazard which can be deadly....

I have done the hot plate mod on one of my smokers....

click on pics to enlarge

Last edited:
Thanks guys, so far you've scared me off! I don't think I'll go down this avenue just yet - electricity was never my strong subject. What about a small gas ring? Fire hazard? Does smoke combust easily?

Thanks guys, so far you've scared me off! I don't think I'll go down this avenue just yet - electricity was never my strong subject. What about a small gas ring? Fire hazard? Does smoke combust easily?
Can you obtain a heating element from an electric stove and buy or make a PID controller setup?  You could do the same with the hot plate after bypassing the thermostatic safety, but you need some sort of heat control on the thing (the PID serves that function by cutting the power to the element when the pit temp hits a set point).  There has been many a cabinet smoker made with stove elements. There are a ton of examples on this site and it's not hard to do.  Add one of Todd's pellet trays or tubes and you are in business.  Temps are a lot easier to regulate in an electric cabinet than with gas.  The pellet tray/tube will generate smoke independent of the heating element being on, plus it gives you the option to make sausage at lower temps and cold smoke with no heat.

Last edited:
I don't think I would try gas in something that small and made of plywood.  Do you have access to any sort of metal housing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky