Hot pickled sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
P3141848.JPG
So after trying the Penrose sausage recipe I figured I'd try a something a bit different.
I'm using the Johnsonville kielbasa again. For the brine:
3 packs of the kielbasa. 1 quart vinegar. I used cider vinegar. But white should be fine.
1/2 quart water.
1 cup of Franks hot sauce.
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper.
Put the water, vinegar, hot sauce, and cayenne in a pot and bring to a boil.
Divide the sausage into 2 quart jars. I kept them whole.
In each jar add:
2 teaspoons minced dried onion.
1 teaspoon minced garlic.
1 teaspoon dried red pepper.
Pour the hot mixture to 1/2" of the jars. Seal, I vacuum sealed mine.
I'll let them set for at least 2 weeks.
Just as I got done and had everything put away. The wife comes home with cukes! So, out comes everything again. And I did a half gallon on Al's pickles. This time with white vinegar.

What is the purpose of pickled sausages? Did they use this as a preservation method years ago? Or is it just for the taste??? How long will they last on the counter? Or do they need to be refrigerated?

What is the purpose of pickled sausages? Did they use this as a preservation method years ago? Or is it just for the taste??? How long will they last on the counter? Or do they need to be refrigerated?

I'm not really sure why it started. I've eaten these since I was a kid. I've heard that these are shelf stable in temps below 75 degrees. Though I just keep em in the fridge.

Oh yes, Hot Bologna! I truly love these, they’re one of my weaknesses.

Every bar around here used to have them in a jar next to the potato chip rack and close to the Blind Robin’s (kippered herrings).

They used Miller’s Hot Bologna that was made down the road in St. Claire, PA

Very nicely done, Steve. I bet they’re gonna be great!

Reactions: Steve H
Nicely done.

Like Holly said. When we lived in north east pa they were called hot bologna and in the coal cracker region (where we lived) they made soupy (i made these before) packed in olive oil or grape seed oil for years.

Interesting....
Way back in the day, the cajuns would pack processed salt meats from the pig butchering in barrels then pour hot lard over them. The lard would solidify, encasing the meats and preserve them. They would eat the meats in revers order from how they were stacked in the barrel...as they used up the lard, they had access to more meat.

I went to apprenticeship school and then worked with a lot of folks from the coal region and they each had a closely guarded family recipe for souply. Each family also believed there recipe as the best and that all other ser second class. Personally I've never tired one that was good.

Another delicacy from the Shamokin metro area is faggots. Small meatballs made with various organ meats and smothered in brown gravy. They are super rich and are really good. Hot pickled Krakowska is also very good.

Yeah soupy is big around here. Where did you go to apprenticeship school?

Lol, I never thought of Shamokin as a metropolis.

We eat krakowska keilbasa, ham and bacon cold for Easter. The only thing missing in the picture is the Halupki as they’re in a pot on the stove and my Italian grams Easter Pie
C0200A15-18F6-410B-BE6C-E20F6A30B59A.jpeg

7248A87D-BA2E-4526-ADD5-8F74806F8855.jpeg

So, after about two weeks I tried one. They are good. But the heat isn't right yet. Same as the Penrose recipe. I think I need to get serious with the heat. Maybe add tabasco sauce with the Franks hot sauce? Or some other type of spice.

Interesting....
Way back in the day, the cajuns would pack processed salt meats from the pig butchering in barrels then pour hot lard over them. The lard would solidify, encasing the meats and preserve them. They would eat the meats in revers order from how they were stacked in the barrel...as they used up the lard, they had access to more meat.
Yes

My dad used to tell me when i was a kid that his mom used a large wooden barrel full of lard to keep the meats in because they did not have a fridge. Want some meat pull out of lard and slice some off, dunk back into the lard.

Local 520 Plumbers & Pipefitters, Harrisburg July 27th, 1992

The Shamokin metro area more of a tongue in cheek thing. Kulpmont, Elysburg, Ringold, Gordon, Richland, Ashland, Centralia all the Shamokin suburbs.

Easter growing up was homemade sweet Easter bread in braids, kielbasa to compliment the Easter ham followed by pizzella and Crispelle w/ raisins at my maternal grandparents. They have long since passed.

This year my mother is making me cappelletti soup for Easter. I cannot wait!
Local #38 Plumbers & Pipefitters 1988 here.
Retired plumber & fitter for 30+ years, my body gave out on me from too much 4'' to 10'' cast iron no-hub pipe, so I got out early while I can still walk.

Damn, Steve that all looks great.
I missed this thread until I read the TX get together pickled garlic. Which by the way is one of my favorites, I'm going to make up a batch of sausage and garlic for an up coming RV trip with my wife. With epic amounts of beer and those treats I should have no problem at all running the little lady out of the RV......LOL!!!

Thank you for the recipes.
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky