Hot Link Time again in East Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Texas Style Hot Links 
I was out of Hot Links and had a nice Pork butt in the freezer. Let that thing thaw out for a few days in the fridge and got busy.      This is Chef Willie's recipe and a darn good one

De-boned and cubed up the butt, Mixed up slurry and mixed and mixed with the cubed pork.

In the Fridge for a while till I get ready to grind.

After about two or so hours I ground it one time through my smallest plate, then Back in the fridge.

About an hour in the fridge I took it out and put it in the freezer with my grinder (Not the motor part) 

After about an hour and a half removed everything from the freezer assembled the grinder and started grinding.

Everything was Cold, Cold, Cold.  Then back in the fridge while I cleaned up my mess and set up my stuffer and casings .

After getting it all stuffed back in the fridge till tomorrow.

Thursday Morning:

7:00 AM  Pulled Links out of the fridge and on the counter

8:00 AM got a chimney of charcoal lit.

8:30 AM Dumped charcoal on to some more charcoal in my smoker basket.

9:00 AM Coals look good holding a steady 100º on go the links  (No smoke just mild heat for an hour)

10:00 AM added a split of Pecan opened the damper a little more bumped the temp to 110º

11:00 AM added another split bumped the temp to 125º

12:00 PM another small split and took the temp to 140º

1:00 PM opened the damper a little more temp went to 155º

2:00 PM added another split opened the damper a little more temp at 175º

3:15 PM IT temp was from 161º to 168º  Pulled em off and into a sink of nice cool water.

After about 30 min in the water took them out dried em off and back into the fridge till tomorrow

for Vac sealing.

De-boned and starting to cub up Butt

All Cubed up

Wound up with 7 lbs

Slurry all mixed and ready

Grinder chillin out

Nice and Frosty

Ready Freddy 

Grinding away

Ready to start stuffing

All finished  (Sorry no shots of it being stiffed only have two hands)

Out of the Fridge waiting on the smoker

Ahhh   all nestled  in ready for some heat and smoke

Started at 100 for the first hour

All done

Close up   BTW I had to go ahead and eat that one !!

Thanks for the Look   Super easy  and just so much better than what you get at the store

Gary

Last edited:
OMG---Those look Great!! 
drool.gif

Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif

And this is an Awesome Step by Step---Easy to follow from start to finish!!
icon14.gif
---
points.gif

Nice Job, Gary!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Thanks Guys

Gary

Great post and great looking links.

2 questions???

#1 twice ground meat?

#2 What casings?   Looks like sheep.

I just noticed that appears to be the "Chef WIllie's Texas Style Hot Links" recipe that is pretty popular.   I have a calculator for that (just input the amount of pork butt in pounds and it does the rest).  My calculator has the Cure #1 in both teaspoons (level tsp of course) and grams as it is much easier to accurately calculate Cure #1 in grams.  I also have info on B&P Binder #414 in my spreadsheets as I sometimes used that in my sausages.

Last edited:

I just noticed that appears to be the "Chef WIllie's Texas Style Hot Links" recipe that is pretty popular.   I have a calculator for that (just input the amount of pork butt in pounds and it does the rest).  My calculator has the Cure #1 in both teaspoons (level tsp of course) and grams as it is much easier to accurately calculate Cure #1 in grams.  I also have info on B&P Binder #414 in my spreadsheets as I sometimes used that in my sausages.
Saved in my excel.    Thanks

Great post and great looking links.

2 questions???

#1 twice ground meat?

#2 What casings?   Looks like sheep.
Ground once

And Hog casings

Saved in my excel.    Thanks
It is Chef's recipe  I'll add that to my post  I just forgot I have in the past.

I made me a calculator too sure takes the guess work or re-figuring out of it

Thanks 

Gary

It is Chef's recipe  I'll add that to my post  I just forgot I have in the past.

I made me a calculator too sure takes the guess work or re-figuring out of it

Thanks 

Gary
Its just easier for me to find in Excel.   I have been saving alot of stuff there.  Making easy to find groups.

WOW   I was way off.

Thanks.
In the past I did grind twice  Once with my biggest plate, then I mixed the slurry and ground again through my small plate,

This time I seasoned the cubed pork with the slurry and ground through my small plate

Gary

​Gary,

Those look great!

I think it is time for me to grind and stuff some sausages.....

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Gary,
East Texas Rocks ! We are in Forney outside of Dallas.
Texas Hot links are awesome but the homemade links you made look excellent. It looks like just enough pepper! Nice and spicy! I am planing a sausage grind soon, and these just got added to the list! Awesome step by step! [emoji]127789[/emoji][emoji]128076[/emoji]points

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky