Hot dogs using the champion juicer review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Finally found a champion juicer local on CL for $75. Had to order a solid screen plate and a pusher so it was right at $100 for everything. Ive seen these used for emulsifying meat for hotdogs and it looked pretty impressive while watching some video's so i had to get one. I must say this thing is Awesome. Worked like a champ.

double grind
20200125_100300.jpg 20200125_101429.jpg

season and cure overnight
20200125_121558.jpg
ready to use. The first push
20200126_140904.jpg 20200126_141055.jpg 20200126_142600.jpg 20200126_142604.jpg

making the wieners
20200126_155900.jpg 20200126_160421.jpg 20200126_160445.jpg 20200126_165708.jpg 20200126_170236.jpg 20200126_192319.jpg 20200126_192545.jpg 20200126_193449.jpg 20200129_132444.jpg

Thanks for looking

Boykjo

Last edited:
Very nice! Any chance you can tell us how many # did you pushed through and how much time did it take? How was the texture after they were cooked? Sorry for so many questions but I am still looking for better deals on Champion juicer. Willing to spend more if this is one to go for dogs....

Very nice! Any chance you can tell us how many # did you pushed through and how much time did it take? I started with a 9.8 lb boston butt and 1 lb of raw uncured pork fat back with skin removed.
After removing the bone and adding the fat and grinding I had 9.15 lbs.
Pushing the meat through the juicer was Quick and easy. The only thing that happened was the meat went from 36 degrees to 64 degrees F. It was cured and seasoned so it was safe.

How was the texture after they were cooked?
The texture was spot on. Ive made a lot of hot dogs using a grinder and a food processor and this is far more superior and a simpler way.
Sorry for so many questions but I am still looking for better deals on Champion juicer. Willing to spend more if this is one to go for dogs....
I should have bought one a long time ago.

hope this helps

boykjo

That looks like a great tool. Do you know if other masticating juicers will work as well?...JJ

Ha a man and his toys. But looks great Joe. Bring it on up to Pa and maybe if I can get some bear meat we could make bear dogs.

Warren

That looks like a great tool. Do you know if other masticating juicers will work as well?...JJ

Not sure jimmy. This is the only type I've seen emulsify meat. It was designed in the 50's and hasn't changed and its still best in its class

Ha a man and his toys. But looks great Joe. Bring it on up to Pa and maybe if I can get some bear meat we could make bear dogs.

Warren

Now that's an idea. Bear dogs

Out of curiosity, what is model number. That looks like it does a fantastic job. I have been doing the double grind method as well for years but every year while the product tastes great the texture still is not quite like a butcher shop quality dog. Do you grind meat before putting in the Champion? Also how is clean up and in your opinion if taken care of is it a throw away after so long or an appliance that would last? We do a lot of juicing anyway so could be a dual purpose investment. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:
Awesome looking hot dogs Joe!
I make small batches so with a double grind the KA works well enough to sort of emulsify the meat. But that sure looks like the way to go if your making big batches!
Al

Out of curiosity, what is model number. That looks like it does a fantastic job. I have been doing the double grind method as well for years but every year while the product tastes great the texture still is not quite like a butcher shop quality dog. Do you grind meat before putting in the Champion? Also how is clean up and in your opinion if taken care of is it a throw away after so long or an appliance that would last? We do a lot of juicing anyway so could be a dual purpose investment. Thanks in advance for your input.
Model G5-NG-853S
Yes, i double ground through a 4mm plate, seasoned and cured over night then ran it through the juicer the next day before stuffing and smoking.

Clean up is a breeze. these units will last a lifetime and more. they are still the best at juicing and was invented in the 1950's and they have'nt changed much.

Hope this helps

Boykjo

Reactions: daveomak
Yes!!!

Thanks to boykjo for showing the way!
I have a soft spot inside for good dogs...and being on the left coast, sometimes it can be a little difficult to find really good dogs...need to make my own!
To this point- one of my favorites is just a dog named O-s-c-a-r, sweated over a smoky open fire. The dog gets smoked, quite well, becomes hot through and through...then it goes on a hot dog roll with just butter.
One day years ago a friend told me to test a burger at a burger place by ordering it with just butter and mayo. That trick really lets you know the quality of the burger patty!
Of course, there is a lot that can be said about naturally fermented sauerkraut, onions and Polish mustard on a good dog....

Thanks for the tip!

smik1

If possible..do you have a cross sectional pic of the finished product? Im about to pull the trigger on a CL ad for a Champion juicer for 60 bucks..just wondering if this is better than my high end food processor. Thanks!

I'll post a pic today. The texture is spot on and looks just like the inside of a hot dog.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky