Champion juicer for emulsifying. Wow!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, I ran some Hot Dog mix through the Champion. It's "mostly" emulsified. I can still see the odd bigger piece in the tan emulsion. Should I just case them up and be done or should I chill it and run it through again? I had double ground the meat, then added the spices and mixed by hand. I'm thinking I should have sent the spiced mix through the grinder again to help more evenly distribute them. But here we are. Live and learn.

View attachment 692705
MOK, Sorry I just saw this post, It seems odd that a large chunk made it through two grinds and the juicer? I do 2 grinds with a 1/8 plate ,season overnight . Then through the juicer and stuff and smoke. IMHO I would not send it through again,maybe pick out any chunks and stuff and eat. Everyone likes a chunky hotdog ! :)

Reactions: Mum-O-Killowe
Ok, I ran some Hot Dog mix through the Champion. It's "mostly" emulsified. I can still see the odd bigger piece in the tan emulsion. Should I just case them up and be done or should I chill it and run it through again? I had double ground the meat, then added the spices and mixed by hand. I'm thinking I should have sent the spiced mix through the grinder again to help more evenly distribute them. But here we are. Live and learn.

View attachment 692705
Whatever your final grind is will dictate the final particle size. Some do a double grind through the 1/8” plate then through the juicer. It’s not perfect but it works fine.

Reactions: Mum-O-Killowe
Is the Champion a substitute for a bowl chopper? No, but probably the closest the hobbiest can get. A double grind alone is pretty nice but a run through the Champion makes you legit. Far better (and easier) than the FP too. I think you want spices (salt) in the mix as soon as you can to develop maximum protein extraction. I grind chunks with medium plate, add spices/salt, and mix well enough that I could actually stuff at this point but don't. Usually the next day or 2 I will run a double fine grind followed by the Champion. Fine ground paste sits in a bowl in the fridge while I clean the grinder... When I run it through the Champion, seems it works best with a gentle feed.

20221124_094802_resized.jpg

MOK, Sorry I just saw this post, It seems odd that a large chunk made it through two grinds and the juicer? I do 2 grinds with a 1/8 plate ,season overnight . Then through the juicer and stuff and smoke. IMHO I would not send it through again,maybe pick out any chunks and stuff and eat. Everyone likes a chunky hotdog ! :)
Sorry, to be clear, the Beef and Pork had already been through a double coarse grind. I then seasoned and mixed. Then it was sent through the Champion. The "chunks" are not really chunks, just bits that escaped full emulsification it would appear. I ran them as is, cooked them (too long and had a bit of fat out) and fried the first ones up tonight. They are good flavor but I found them a little dense. I will be using a little less fat next time as well. Not perfect but not a total fail. They are good enough to eat but wouldn't win a blue ribbon. Next batch will hopefully be better.

Thanks all.

Mum-O-Killowe

Sorry, to be clear, the Beef and Pork had already been through a double coarse grind. I then seasoned and mixed. Then it was sent through the Champion. The "chunks" are not really chunks, just bits that escaped full emulsification it would appear. I ran them as is, cooked them (too long and had a bit of fat out) and fried the first ones up tonight. They are good flavor but I found them a little dense. I will be using a little less fat next time as well. Not perfect but not a total fail. They are good enough to eat but wouldn't win a blue ribbon. Next batch will hopefully be better.

Thanks all.

Mum-O-Killowe
MOK, The beauty of sausage making is that our mistakes are usually edible and the next time around they get better !

MOK, The beauty of sausage making is that our mistakes are usually edible and the next time around they get better !
Absolutely. I only started cooking in the last few years after picking up a Traeger. Just started in sausage making a couple months ago. I'm pretty religious about keeping notes and tweaking a recipe until I get it where I want it to be. I'll master the hot dog yet!

Mum-O-Killowe

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky