Homemade Mozzarella, it's so easy! Plenty of Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife taste has change and she doesn't like salt taste, can you taste 1 teaspoon or should I go with 1/2?

Quote:
First off let me post the recipe I went by. Then I'll go through the steps.

Mozzarella cheese

Dissolve ¼ rennet tablet in ¼ cu. of non chlorinated water.

Heat 1 gallon of whole milk (not ultra pasteurized) in a stainless steel pot ( don’t use aluminum or cast iron ) on med/low ( 4-5 ) until it reaches 95 degrees.

Add 1 ½ tsp of citric acid when milk gets to about 80 degrees, stirring it occasionally.

When it hits 95 degrees add the rennet solution & gently stir for 30 seconds – take it off the heat, cover & let sit for 25 minutes.

Cross hatch the curds with a long knife that reaches the bottom of the pot & use a slotted spoon to spoon curds into a microwaveable dish with cheese cloth in it. Twist the cheese cloth to squeeze out the whey from the curds. Pour out the whey & put the curds back in the dish without  the cheese cloth & microwave for 1 minute.

Pour off liquid, knead & add salt ( about 1 teaspoon or to your taste ) & other seasonings if you choose. Continue to knead until it gets a little dry, then microwave for 30 seconds. Knead some more & form a ball or you can stretch out and form it as a rope or any shape you choose. It should look shiny when it’s done. To get it to hold its shape dunk it in ice water.

I started off making some spiced olive oil to put on the mozz when I got done. It's just the dipping sauce herbs & some olive oil.

febe12d4_Mozzarellacheese12-13-111.jpg

Next the ingredients for the cheese.

a9cc71f0_Mozzarellacheese12-13-112.jpg

The rennet tablets need to be quartered. The first few times I made mozz, I used a knife & it really doesn't make a clean cut, so I bought one of those pill cutters at Wally World. They really work good.

56487635_Mozzarellacheese12-13-113.jpg

Bingo 1/4 of a tablet.

8009f4ed_Mozzarellacheese12-13-114.jpg

Put 1/4 of the rennet tablet into 1/4 cup of non chlorinated water. Stir it up & let it sit & dissolve.

444f1554_Mozzarellacheese12-13-115.jpg

Next get a stainless pot & pour 1 gallon of milk into it. The fresher the better. If you can find un-homogenized that's the best, but make sure it doesn't say ultra- pasteurized or this won't work.

03c0bdd9_Mozzarellacheese12-13-116.jpg

Heat the milk on med low until it hits 80 degrees then add the 1 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid.

251ff97e_Mozzarellacheese12-13-117.jpg

06d9aed5_Mozzarellacheese12-13-118.jpg

Occasionally stir it until it hits 95 degrees then add the rennet & water.

6b618867_Mozzarellacheese12-13-119.jpg

Stir for 30 seconds, as you can see the curds are starting to form.

bb484ea1_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1110.jpg

After 30 seconds take it off the heat.

e9a8dafe_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1111.jpg

Cover it & let it sit for 25 minutes.

757ffb4e_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1112.jpg

After 25 minutes you can see how the curds have separated from the whey. This time they are a little looser than normal. It should look like custard. That's OK we will just have too work with them a little more to get all the whey out.

33ff15cc_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1113.jpg

Got a bowl ready lined with cheesecloth.

b84b8238_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1114.jpg

Next we use a big pasta spoon to spoon out the curds.

2a1420f3_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1116.jpg

Like I said earlier the curds are a little looser than normal. Normally you could get them all out with the pasta spoon, but there is quite a bit left in the bowl so were going to pour the remaining liquid through a strainer.

9bbffef3_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1117.jpg

This is what we have left.

3c30a320_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1118.jpg

Now you just wrap the cheese cloth around the mozz & squeeze out as much of the whey as you can.

aa80b06f_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1119.jpg

Dump the whey out, and put the mozz back in the bowl & into the microwave for 1 minute.

e6d1b01a_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1120.jpg

After you get it out of the micro, just drain off the excess whey & start to knead it.

9677b15c_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1122.jpg

Now is when you want to add your seasonings. We just added about 1 tsp of Kosher salt.

483c7dc3_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1123.jpg

Keep kneading it and if it seems to start to get dry just nuke it for 30 seconds. When it's right it will stretch out like a rope.

7a74c7af_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1124.jpg

Now just knead it a little more, and if you need to put in in the micro for 15 seconds to keep it pliable.

3b608898_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1125.jpg

Next form it into a ball or whatever shape you want it to be. I have seen it twisted like rope. The main thing is to work it & stretch it so it gets those long fibers that makes good mozzarella. It should have a shine to it as well. We just make balls. Maybe I need to get more creative!

0c62a01d_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1126.jpg

To make sure it keeps it's shape put in in an ice bath for 10 minutes.

08ef2903_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1127.jpg

After the ice bath wrap it in saran wrap just like a fattie & it will be good in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. It only last's a couple of days around here, but it freezes well too. So if you want to make a bunch of it you can vac seal & freeze it. I prefer to make it 1 batch at a time & eat it with friends. One gallon of milk makes about 3/4 pound of mozz.

7909160f_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1129.jpg

Now getting back to the seasoned olive oil in the beginning of this thread. I think it's snack time at SmokinAl's. The good thing is it's tomato season here now, so we went to the local produce stand & picked up a few locally grown vine ripe maters. Sliced them up with some of the mozz a few basal leaves and some of that olive oil. This is the perfect afternoon snack with a couple of beers.

173ed20c_Mozzarellacheese12-13-1130.jpg

My wife taste has change and she doesn't like salt taste, can you taste 1 teaspoon or should I go with 1/2?

Quote:
You don't need to put any salt in it if you don't want to. We like the salt flavor, and yes you can taste 1 tsp. Try it without any salt while your kneading it. If you like the flavor don't put any in, or add a little & see how you like it.

You inspired me Al! I went to every local grocery store and finally found a box of Junket rennet for ice cream and custard. Couldn't find calcium chloride or citric acid, but figured I'd grind up a vitamin C tablet and hope the calcium chloride could be skipped. Got home only to discover we don't have any vitamin C, just multivitamins. Thought about grinding one of those up, but decided to use lemon juice instead. Various recipes on the net tel me this rennet may or may not work. Ended up using 1.5 tablets as per one recipe I found. And about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, as I figure that should net the right amount of citric acid. It's been about an hour, and it's starting to firm up, so we'll see. For some reason, your whole post seems to have disappeared. Weird.

Some pharmacies carry the rennet tablets, also health food stores carry the citric acid & rennet too.

Good stuff Al, good stuff!

I clipped this one to Evernote -- I have to make some!

Thanks for the excellent post -- Happy Holiday!

John

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

This is so darn easy, you all need to try it.

The best part is the mozz is much better than store bought, way cheaper, and has a wonderful texture to it.

Mine ended up like a really rich ricotta, which is fine. I'll get the right stuff and try it again. Yours looks really good. thanks for posting this!

Mine ended up like a really rich ricotta, which is fine. I'll get the right stuff and try it again. Yours looks really good. thanks for posting this!
The first batch I did, the same thing happened. I just made calzone with it. 

My wife loves fresh mozz.  I bought a kit about a month ago from cheesemaking.com.  The lady who runs the site is known as "The Cheese Queen", I think.   We've had good success with her kit.  Basically exact same thing as what the OP posted here...  I think it was like 29.99 for enough everything (except milk) to make 30 gallons of milk worth of mozz.  We're making some tomorrow.  And yes, you can smoke it...

Later,

B.

Very cool Al...Great detail and pics...JJ

Fantastic post Al!

I've been wanting to make cheese for about 4 years now but after seeing your post I think ya got me motivated enough to do it. Thanks for the Q-view

Thanks for the EXCELENT POST

{{always wondered about Homoginized Store milk}}

an now I know...

Beautiful tutorial with excelent pics.

THANKS SMOKIN-AL...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky