Homemade curing salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SpinelessPete

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2023
Where I am I cannot get a curing salt of only sodium nitrate. Everything here comes with sodium nitrate.

However I have found a shop that can get me just sodium nitrite. Can I prepare my own curing salt with 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% Himalayan salt.

If you can get sodium nitrite, the formula for making your own cure #1 is very simple. 1 pound of pure salt (no iodine) and 1 ounce of pure sodium nitrite. Be sure the grain size is the same, otherwise the different size particles will settle out.

Thanks everyone.
I'm in another continent.
Many places here just use plain salt for sausages here.

I was going to use Himalayan salt instead of table salt for the colour. I suppose it can try getting food colouring and try to colour the salt prior to blending with the sodium nitrite. I just don't want it to react prematurely.

Reactions: indaswamp
Use the ratio indaswamp indaswamp posted.
Himalayan salt is OK but needs to be very fine texture.
DON'T add any food coloring in your mix.
It will not give you a similar product as the pink salt we have here in the US.
Our US curing (pink) salt has another significant ingredient you cannot replace in a home kitchen.
Simply label the container as POISON and put out of reach of yourself and other family members.
You will need to shake the container well to assure even mixing of the salt and sodium nitrite before measuring out for your curing project. Yes the salt and nitrite will separate quickly over time no matter the grain size of your salt or even if you run it through a grinder. Salt and sodium nitrite do not bind

Any questions give me a message

Here is the big point we cannot replicate at home.
The commercial mixes use ethylene propylene glycol (EG) (PG) as a binder to keep the coloring dye, salt, and sodium nitrite in a suspension.
Without the EG, I don't know red dye mix.
I stir my #1 salt jar before measuring just in case.

edit;
I get really frustrated with myself when my brain is correct, but my fingers don't follow through

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky