Hog trough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
Ok tried something different...well at least for me.
Took a pork tenderloin (1/2 actually) and cut out a trough in the center.
Filled that with clarified butter with spices blended into it.
Crushed garlic 6 cloves
Parsley
Red chili flakes
Lea Perrins 1/2 tsp
Thyme 1/4 tsp
Rosemary 1/4 tsp
Black pepper 1/4 tsp
few leaves of cilantro.
dash of salt.
Browned the the trough side of the loin directly over coals. flipped and moved loin for indirect grilling. Filled trough with butter mix, covered and basted meat every 10 minutes with the butter mix that was melted in trough of the loin.
When IT hit 145 pulled and let rest while I fry up some cabbage use some more of the butter mix. That and some apple sauce and my peppers and then commenced to eat. Pretty dam tasty and man was that loin juicy.
Kit

Attachments

• DSCN0095.JPG
    DSCN0095.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0096.JPG
    DSCN0096.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN0101.JPG
    DSCN0101.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0104.JPG
    DSCN0104.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0107.JPG
    DSCN0107.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0109.JPG
    DSCN0109.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN0111.JPG
    DSCN0111.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 97
Not really though they did turn darker from the heat they were not burnt...Butter and the juices of the meat stopped that process( well at least pretty sure that is why)
I was going to fry up the meat I removed from trough with the cabbage, but decided I would use it in a meal I plan for later this week.

Nice. I really like the idea but scorched garlic is nasty. Sounds like it all turned out well. Gives me something new to try next week.

Oddegan
If you look at the picture of the close up of the meat you can see the spices as well as some of the garlic. Agree scorched or burnt garlic is not desirable to say the least...lol

Thanks Foam.
I was hoping that some of the spice blend would leech into the meat...it did some, just not as much as i expected...still it was super juicy.

That looks darn good Kit!
I usually flatten mine out & roll them up, but this would certainly be a alternative way to get some more flavor in the loin.
Great idea & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

innovative idea I like. Loin boats.

Point for sure.

Chris

You might try using your spice blend steeped in a brine. It will increase the flavors while adding moisture to the meat.
Foam thought about that but really the butter did add some flavor and the blend in the trough once melted made some good juice and seasoning to bast were as didn't think a brine would have been as good it that area.

Foam thought about that but really the butter did add some flavor and the blend in the trough once melted made some good juice and seasoning to bast were as didn't think a brine would have been as good it that area.
I was talking about doing the brine and then doing them exactly as you did, adding the brine not replacing with the brine.

Might try that....but then again i was pleased with the way it turned out....oh and forgot to mention to ll that some butter leach (drawn) through meat when it was cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky