Hmong-ish dinner - testing the new inkbird SV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Nor Cal
I'm no expert at Thai, Lao, Hmong cuisine, but I'm a quick study. My Hmong friends can't believe some white guy made it.
Clockwise: SV pork belly then sauteed with Japanese eggplant and onions in a reduced soy glaze. Soured bamboo salad and Beef knuckles SV until tender then minced with onions and my laab seasoning blend over a bed of mixed greens. No rice (trying to watch carbs) but would normally serve with steamed purple sticky rice.
20190925_183634.jpg

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks great. Soured Bamboo as in Fermented or the Dressing is Sour?
Willing to share the recipes?...JJ

Reactions: S-met
I'm no expert at Thai, Lao, Hmong cuisine, but I'm a quick study. My Hmong friends can't believe some white guy made it.
Clockwise: SV pork belly then sauteed with Japanese eggplant and onions in a reduced soy glaze. Soured bamboo salad and Beef knuckles SV until tender then minced with onions and my laab seasoning blend over a bed of mixed greens. No rice (trying to watch carbs) but would normally serve with steamed purple sticky rice.
View attachment 406880
Man that looks great!

I'm not an eggplant guy but I would definitely destroy the rest of it! :D

Reactions: S-met
Looks great. Soured Bamboo as in Fermented or the Dressing is Sour?
Willing to share the recipes?...JJ
The bamboo is slightly soured. I don't know the full process as we get it from our friends parents. We trade goods, I got the bamboo for spicy frog balls (pickled brussel sprouts).
But some stores carry sour bamboo like the one in the link.
Recipe is incredibly simple. Juice from a lime or 2, few dashes of fish sauce (maybe 1-2 tsp or more to taste) green onions, cilantro, a few fresh thai peppers sprinkle of roasted rice powder and some dried ground chili. More or less of anything to taste. Let it sit for a few hours for the flavors to meld. (Optional fresh mint leaves. I didn't have mint or I'd have added a few leaves).

Sometimes we'll do the exact same thing to cucumbers or white fungus. Nice cooling salad
20190925_230152.jpg

Reactions: chilerelleno
Spicy Frog balls? How are the brussel sprouts pickled?
Laco-fermentation, salt brine with garlic and chilies. I'm trying to motivate myself this morning to go to work. But tonight when I get home, I'll see if I have any pics and can share my process. Is there a pickling sub-forum?

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky