• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hmong-ish dinner - testing the new inkbird SV

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
I'm no expert at Thai, Lao, Hmong cuisine, but I'm a quick study. My Hmong friends can't believe some white guy made it.
Clockwise: SV pork belly then sauteed with Japanese eggplant and onions in a reduced soy glaze. Soured bamboo salad and Beef knuckles SV until tender then minced with onions and my laab seasoning blend over a bed of mixed greens. No rice (trying to watch carbs) but would normally serve with steamed purple sticky rice.
20190925_183634.jpg

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks great. Soured Bamboo as in Fermented or the Dressing is Sour?
Willing to share the recipes?...JJ

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I'm no expert at Thai, Lao, Hmong cuisine, but I'm a quick study. My Hmong friends can't believe some white guy made it.
Clockwise: SV pork belly then sauteed with Japanese eggplant and onions in a reduced soy glaze. Soured bamboo salad and Beef knuckles SV until tender then minced with onions and my laab seasoning blend over a bed of mixed greens. No rice (trying to watch carbs) but would normally serve with steamed purple sticky rice.
View attachment 406880
Man that looks great!

I'm not an eggplant guy but I would definitely destroy the rest of it! :D

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
Looks great. Soured Bamboo as in Fermented or the Dressing is Sour?
Willing to share the recipes?...JJ
The bamboo is slightly soured. I don't know the full process as we get it from our friends parents. We trade goods, I got the bamboo for spicy frog balls (pickled brussel sprouts).
But some stores carry sour bamboo like the one in the link.
Recipe is incredibly simple. Juice from a lime or 2, few dashes of fish sauce (maybe 1-2 tsp or more to taste) green onions, cilantro, a few fresh thai peppers sprinkle of roasted rice powder and some dried ground chili. More or less of anything to taste. Let it sit for a few hours for the flavors to meld. (Optional fresh mint leaves. I didn't have mint or I'd have added a few leaves).

Sometimes we'll do the exact same thing to cucumbers or white fungus. Nice cooling salad
20190925_230152.jpg

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Spicy Frog balls? How are the brussel sprouts pickled?

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Oh hell yeah!
Fantastic meal for sure.
Mouthwatering, I'm a huge fan of Asian food.
Like!

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
Spicy Frog balls? How are the brussel sprouts pickled?
Laco-fermentation, salt brine with garlic and chilies. I'm trying to motivate myself this morning to go to work. But tonight when I get home, I'll see if I have any pics and can share my process. Is there a pickling sub-forum?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.