Hiya From CT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backdoc425

Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
Southington, CT
Hi all Frank here from Central CT!

About 2(?) months ago, after trying ribs and brisket my nephew made in his MES, I picked up my own MES (the model with the electric thermostat on top) and dove into smoking. So far I've had modest ( at best .... but I' my own worst critic) success with baby back and beef ribs. Still have to figure out a good rub, though.... I've been winging it with what's on hand.

I think the next venture will be salmon so I could use some beginner tips.

Thanks & see ya around the forums.

Frank

Welcome to the forum Frank!  Glad you joined us.  I use Jeff's rub recipe almost exclusively since trying it a few years ago.  There is a link to purchase at the bottom of the page, the proceeds help keep this awesome site running.

Mike

Hi all Frank here from Central CT!

About 2(?) months ago, after trying ribs and brisket my nephew made in his MES, I picked up my own MES (the model with the electric thermostat on top) and dove into smoking. So far I've had modest ( at best .... but I' my own worst critic) success with baby back and beef ribs. Still have to figure out a good rub, though.... I've been winging it with what's on hand.

I think the next venture will be salmon so I could use some beginner tips.

Thanks & see ya around the forums.

Frank
Just got one myself, be ready to season it next week, doing a rack mod on it so I have 8 racks instead of the 5 total without the mod, and get started on some Jerky first, why not try the wet brine/cure, I am going with that first since I see so many mouth watering results  
welcome1.gif

doing a rack mod on it so I have 8 racks instead of the 5 total without the mod
I'd be interested in hearing more about that mod, Guy!

Frank

(73, de W1NK)
Frank,

I have learned some things about the smokers, particularly the MES 30 models, I saw in the forum where someone was wondering what the difference was between models that have different model #'s but appear to be same, I am not saying this as concrete yet as it would seem documenting it would be kinda hard.
It could be that the diff model #'s are attributed to a specific name model sold to certain retailers, like there is the pro, the elite, and the regular version, I am only speaking of the analog versions as this is where my research has been, but there seems to be some evidence that the different models may have diff rack supports and rack placement within the cabinet.

I will share with you what I know for sure right now and have communicated to Master Built personally, by the way, fantastic people at Master Built Support, and if you planning on getting parts, they are cheaper there rather than buying at Cabela's and other retailers, but after much research and looking at pics I found the one I wanted, Cabela's had it, in this case shipping made it cheaper and they are running a sale and it is only $142 bucks, but when I got to the store, the picture on the box was not the same, so I wound up opening the box right there in the store and it was the one I wanted, this is what I communicated to Master Built, I told them with all due respect it was like bait and switch, even outside of that it is sort of false advertising, I made sure they understood I bought it, liked it but this was wrong, she said she was going to address it, the issue I saw for them regarding this is people like me, not really like me because I got them to cut the box open before I bought and then showed them the issue, most people would just assume it was not the right one and keep searching or give up and buy another because they could not find the one they saw and liked for one reason or another, the people at the store were rather confused as well lol, but no attitude or nastiness, just discussion about it at the store and with Master Built on the phone.

There also seems to be a lot of reviews out there with pics of older units, that the racks are totally different ( like the older ones had the 3/4 square mesh racks that would be perfect for meat and or jerky, even veggies ), they are from the 2007 era according to Master Built, and they are no longer manufactured, not only no longer manufactured but a different manufacturer I saw a thread in here where someone was asking how to get them before I learned this, well they are not made anymore so the only place you will get them would be older units original racks.

So when you look online the pic you see if you see one is the picture of 4 racks pretty much evenly spaced to the top, that is not the unit I have, here is one from walmart, same model as mine, but not an elite, but the racks supports are different, it only has 3 racks, and supports for them yet is the same model though not a sportsman elite 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbui...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

And here is one from Bass Pro, same model, is an elite, has 4 racks but there are no other support locations for any more, and they are all the way to the top of the inside of the cabinet, 4 evenly spaced racks
http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-30-Electric-Smoker/product/10204454/

Same model, yet different configuration

The way I differentiated this in the listings, is the total sq in space was larger for the one I have, and it lists on some of the listings the increased area after adding the additional 2 racks, now the one I have has 3 chrome racks, that is another difference, at least with the 4 rack model that I see pics of all over, but the one link shows only 3, the difference there was it was not listed with the optional 2 rack upgrade.
Like I said, the one I have is a 3 rack out of the box, but there are 2 empty spots you can buy the MES 30 Rack Accessory kit to expand it to 5, the rack supports already support 5, you just get 3.
And unlike the pics of the 4 rack version ( the only 3 rack version stops short in the cabinet as well, but is not expandable from the factory ) the racks stop about 2/3's the way up from the bottom in the cabinet, but the supports support 5 racks from the factory, again you only get 3.

Even the Master Built Site only shows 3 racks, without the extra spots on the supports for the other 2 racks
https://masterbuilt.com/product/20070210-30-electric-analog-smoker/

So I am not sure, but figuring that this is a new model design using the original model number and name, and everyone including Master Built are using the wrong pics on listings or antiquated pics of older models which are still wrong.

All that said, I have completed the Mod, but waiting for my extra 3 racks I ordered from Master Built to come in before I post the Mod, this way I can show start to finish with pics the process, so people will be able to see the end result which I cannot show without the extra racks.

And again, not sure if everyone that is purchasing a MES 30 Sportsman Elite are getting the same design layout with the ability to add the 2 extra racks, some listings mention the racks and some do not, but that is how I differentiated regarding the one I wanted, I wanted the total of 5 racks with the optional purchase of 2 extra racks by buying the "Rack Accessory Kit" here :

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Masterbuilt-Smoker-Rack-Accessory-Kit/1840482.uts

I plan on calling Master Built and discussing this with them again and try and figure out if it is just a new model and no one is updating interior design pics ( which most listings do not show a interior unless it is the incorrect versions different from the one I purchased ) or if this is possibly a special model design for a particular retailer.

I should be receiving the racks this week and as soon as they come I will remove the Mod and then take pics, take pics of the Mod Procedure I used, and then post them in the Forum here under Electric Smokers :

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/110/electric-smokers

I will also copy this post and include it with the Mod post so maybe it could clear up some things for people looking at them, because, if this is what is in the box for all those listings then no one is seeing what is really in the box, rather a incorrect pic of a old model line that is no longer manufactured, or possibly as stated, a special model for some retailers, if you look at one that says "3 racks and upgradeable to 5 racks w/ purchase of Rack Accessory Kit then this will be the same smoker I own and am speaking of regarding my purchase at Cabela's :
http://www.cabelas.com/product/masterbuilt-sportsman-elite-30-black-analog-smoker/1627128.uts?

I will go ahead and post this in the Forum for under Electric Smokers tonight, maybe get some feedback while I am waiting on those last 3 racks, cannot wait to see it myself with the 8 racks, it will be awesome for Jerky and many other items I would want to make large amounts of, it says it will handle 60 lbs of meat, looking forward to finding a way to see that happen 
yahoo.gif

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another sunny and hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky