Higher Gauge Steel Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mvyvoda

Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Hey y'all. I am looking for a thicker gauge steel (<10gauage) pellet smoker to purchase. In the running are:

Royall RG1000
Yoder YS480s
Smokin Brothers “24” Premier PLUS BBQ Grill
Gator Pit 2032

I am familar with competition smoking, but not with pellet grilling. I am looking for a personal "patio" smoker. Max two or three butts, max 3-4 ribs. Nothing large. What questions should I be asking about which brand to choose. There are a lot of options and I am just not starting my seach.

Last edited:
Hey y'all. I am looking for a thicker gauge steel (<10gauage) pellet smoker to purchase. In the running are:

Royall RG1000
Yoder YS480s
Smokin Brothers “24” Premier PLUS BBQ Grill

I am familar with competition smoking, but not with pellet grilling. I am looking for a personal "patio" smoker. Max two or three butts, max 3-4 ribs. Nothing large. What questions should I be asking about which brand to choose. There are a lot of options and I am just not starting my seach.
Welcome to smf I know nothing about pellet smokers. I personally am a fan of offset smoking. There are lots of opinionated pellet heads hear I’m sure you will get some info soon.

• Haha
Reactions: flatbroke
None of those meet your <10 Guage parameter. The Royal is 14/16 gauge, Smokin Brothers is 12 gauge, Yoder is 11 gauge and the Gator is an Offset, not a pellet grill at all.
Check out Lonestar Grillz Pellet Grill. They were using 1/4", 3 gauge steel in all their pits. Their Pellet grill should be comparable considering it nearly 400 pounds...JJ

Before you lay down the money for a pellet spitter, any pellet spitter, read what current and past owners say about smoke flavor in the meat.
Most research on that subject will produce how to increase/improve same through the use of various aftermarket gizmo's that allow burning of extra pellets on the cook grate to TRY to improve the smoke profile in the meat.
My sincere advice is to look at gravity feed charcoal cookers (the type where you can add hardwood chunks in with the charcoal and ash catch bin).
With gravity feeders you get the hands free aspects that pellet cookers offer but with the smoke flavored meat that they don't.

ChefJ, Gatorpit does make a pellet grill. It's not a 2032 though, it's a 2036.

There is considerable debate about a heavy gauge pellet grill being superior to lighter gauge pits. While it is true that light gauge pits will fluctuate temps more than heavy gauge it is also true that you have to heat the heavy one up first and that takes time and BTU's to make the heatsink work. That can be offset easily with a blanket if you are really in cold weather and remember in really cold weather it will take even longer and even more BTUs.

Reactions: mvyvoda
What is the reason you are looking for heavy gauge?

Before you lay down the money for a pellet spitter, any pellet spitter, read what current and past owners say about smoke flavor in the meat.
Most research on that subject will produce how to increase/improve same through the use of various aftermarket gizmo's that allow burning of extra pellets on the cook grate to TRY to improve the smoke profile in the meat.
My sincere advice is to look at gravity feed charcoal cookers (the type where you can add hardwood chunks in with the charcoal and ash catch bin).
With gravity feeders you get the hands free aspects that pellet cookers offer but with the smoke flavored meat that they don't.

Thanks for the reply. Excellent point about the lack of smoke flavor in pellet grills. I have considered this. I am willing to accept this loss if I can achieve a simple "on/off" method of smoking. It might be sacrilege to say but, I am looking for the least amount of effort when smoking. I appreciate the advice. Do you have any brands you like for gravity fed charcoal cookers?

Longevity of smoker-life and heat retention. I am also used to this heavier gauge (10ga) when I smoked competitively.

You might want to consider a double wall stainless steel smoker. Double wall insulation provides better heat retention than thicker grade steel. And high quality SS will give you lifespan comparable to thick steel, with less maintenance. They also heat up faster, weigh much less and are easier to move. Just a thought.

Also suggest that you should try some food from a pellet grill --if you haven't already-- to make sure it gives the level of smoke you desire. What is your upper $$ limit?

Pellet burners used forced air, so the heavier gauge metal won't help much except on a breezy winter day. Mostly it will take longer to reach your desired cook temp. Might help the bottom end of the temp swing a bit, but it won't help the upward swing. I'd just look for one that has a good PID controller.

Have the yoder 640 built like a tank and personally I like the flavor from the pellets more than my bge guess the smoke bothers my stomach more as I get older

You might want to consider a double wall stainless steel smoker. Double wall insulation provides better heat retention than thicker grade steel. And high quality SS will give you lifespan comparable to thick steel, with less maintenance. They also heat up faster, weigh much less and are easier to move. Just a thought.

Also suggest that you should try some food from a pellet grill --if you haven't already-- to make sure it gives the level of smoke you desire. What is your upper $$ limit?

I'd like to stay about $1500-1800.

Have the yoder 640 built like a tank and personally I like the flavor from the pellets more than my bge guess the smoke bothers my stomach more as I get older

I bet. I'm trying to be about $1500-$1800.

If this helps, Smoke Master D did a comparison of "heavy duty" smokers.

You know I just saw this the other day. Popped up on my YouTube feed. It is exactly what I am talking about here. I am ending up with the Yoder. Either the 480 or 640. Need to save my pennies but it'll be worth it. Thanks 2FP!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky