Hickory Smoked Onion Rings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
Smoked some more onions for onion rings this weekend... I used hickory and my drum.

I let the onion slices smoke as long as I can without letting them get too dark..

I store the smoked onions in a baggie until I'm ready to fry them

make a beer batter by mixing
1 cup of flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of baking powder
and enough beer to make a pancake like batter
(about 3/4 of a beer)
I used some Tecate for this batch.

I flour the rings before dipping them in the batter..

fry til golden...

Thanks for checking out my smoked o rings!

Have I ever asked you to marry me? Oh that's right...everytime I see one of your smokes, I think I do.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thank you Dude, Fire, Scarbelly and Marty! :)

Dude, if Mrs. Dude says it's ok, then it's ok with me. lol
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Scarbelly, thank you for the points!

Fire I've made these before. I try to get the most smokey flavor by either smoking them long and slow... a really low temperature. OR by doing the big no-no..pouring as much smoke as I can at them in a short amount of time. This time I had other things in the drum so I went with a low slow approach.
I try to smoke them without cooking them much.
Also... a light beer works best in the batter or use your favorite batter. The beer taste really comes through. (hope that makes sense.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
)

Marty... it's good to see ya!! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Bet you are hauling in deer right and left.
icon_cool.gif
biggrin.gif
Thank you!

cowgirl
Been chasing birds, our deer rifle opens this coming Friday; 6 tags too fill !!! Might just have to try some of those onion rings soon.....

Hope you had great luck with the birds Marty. I have a feeling your aren't going to have a problem filling those 6 tags.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your haul.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Smoked onion rings. Who would have thought....
Have you tried to cold smoke them? Just curious.
Fantastic as usual.

great idea ,onion rings are like one of favorite eats, I never thought about smoking them. btw is my other favorite ,the best of both worlds!!! thank you.
biggrin.gif

As always, a great looking View
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
And points too!
But competition has arrived on the scene;

Meet my soon to be Grandkids-> Aubrey and Joey :)-

She's already a knockout and He's handy as a shirt pocket at the cooker already
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

And talk about EAT, Joey gnaws a Rib like a pro and Aubrey can't get enough 'Q'. 2-1/2Y/O and ate a 6 Ribs today.,by herself(well we did pull it off for her). Joey, no problem, snatch a Rib off the plate and suddenly -'no meat'.Great technique,sauce everywhere!
Anyhow,sorry Hon, got another girlfriend
icon_eek.gif
and my Boy is gonna make prettier stuff than you! LMAO!
biggrin.gif

Check out the other post to see the rest of the "Stans" B-Day. I had a surprize of some Ribs from Alex and we did 'em and ate 'em.
Later Tater and
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka Old School

P.S. No, It's not 'MY' day yet,but we just put 'em together...

Thanks everybody!

Andy, I've not tried them in my smokehouse yet but think I'll do that soon.
Bet they would take the smoke on even better. Thanks!

Rick...no cowboy. I have that once bit, twice shy thing going on right now.
biggrin.gif

bbqhead, thank you! I love both of them too. O-rings and smoke... two of my favorite things.
biggrin.gif

Stan, I am completely jealous!!! You new girlfriend is a knockout!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

What cute grandkids... you are blessed Stan.
cool.gif

Paul, thank you!!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

ever thought about a smoking cookbook........you could pull it off.

not sure how I missed this post, those onion rings look awesome, add another to the list of things to try.

points.gif

dangit jeanie!!! looks great... next thing smoke home made cheetos from scratch??? lol jk ron!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky