Blooming Onion – Cold Smoked then Grilled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ArgyleBill

Original poster
Jul 30, 2023
The wife said she wanted a blooming onion, but not fried. What?? She then said Cold Smoked and then Grill the onion. OK, Dear!!

First time came out okay, but this time I didn’t have any Panko Bread Crumbs or eggs, so just reconstructed my original recipe.
Everyone now thinks these blooming onions are a lot better than the first ones I tried. Who would have thunk that???

Ingredients:
Progresso Bread Crumbs with Italian Seasonings.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Spray butter
Garlic Powder
Italian Seasoning spice
Drizzle honey, after putting on the grill or in the oven for at least 25 minutes.
Pecan wood pellets used in the Pit Boss Smoker

Directions:
Peel the skin from large yellow, white, Vidalia or purple/red onion.
Cut about ½-inch off the top side. Turn upside down to where the roots are showing.
Place a pointed & sharp knife about 1/2-inch center pf onion.
Press knife straight down, but don’t cut through the center part.
Now bring the knife down toward cutting board and through the outside edge of on onion.
Repeat along edges for about 16 times.
Spread out onion as if it is a blooming flower.
Sprinkle Extra Virgin Olive Oil and rub all over the onion/s.
Sprinkle with the bread crumbs, separating the onion layers as you sprinkle. First time I use Panko Bread Crumbs with Italian Seasoning after dipping onion into a 3-egg, beaten, batter. But this time, skipped Panko & egg batter, went for Progresso Bread Crumbs with Italian Seasoning, much better IMO.
Using some spray butter, squirted it all over the onion/s coated with olive oil & bread crumbs.
Sprinkle garlic powder over the onion/s.
Drizzle honey all over the onion/s.
Cold Smoke for about 20 minutes
Turn temperature up on grill & grilled to 350°F degrees for about 30 minutes or 250° F degrees for 1 hour. Check for your desired firmness.

Enjoy…

Note:
Even better after refrigeration the next day. Goood…
Smoked Blooming Onions.jpg
Smoked Blooming Onions on plate & enjoying.jpg

Looks good. I've made a couple of Bloomers on the kettle before. A little different ingredient wise, but the same basic premise.

1691410880633.png

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky