Help on a pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Original poster
I seen in the past, where someone cut a butt into 4 pieces and smoked. Trying to add more flavor to it by having more bark. I am going to try the Chris Lilly 5 time world champion pork shoulder injection then use Jeff’s Texas rub. Smoke at 225 degrees until internal temps reach 195- 200 degrees. Any help here will be appreciated, if u think I am doing something wrong here please tell me.
dannylang

My daughter and I, both Quarter Butts. An IT of 200 is ok IF you plan to Cooler Rest an hour. If you want to cook and eat, go to 205 AND Probe Tender...JJ

I have never cut a butt into separate pieces but have seen several people on here do it. I don't think you are going to pick up a lot more of a smoke flavor but you will get more bark.

Also haven't tried the chris lilly injection. What does it consist of?

I usually roll apple juice injection and jeffs rub or whatever I have one hand with great results.

Jimmy’s does that make better tasting butt by doing that? Does it add more taste with the extra crust from 1/4 it?
Dannylang

Yes it does add more Smoke flavor and Bark. After all, there is A LOT more surface area. I do typically Foil at 165-175 and the color is nice and dark. I am more concerned with keeping them Juicy, than having Crunchy Bark...JJ

Have you tried adding extra Rub and/or a Finishing Sauce after Pulling. Not sure how Deep a flavor you are looking for. The meat should taste like Pork, not a Smokey, Spiced Mystery Meat.:emoji_blush: MSG works Magic and unless you ABSOLUTELY know you have issues, it's safe to eat. Most people who " Think " they have issues really don't. They just need to cut back on the Mai Tai's at the Chinese Restaurant!...JJ

I have always had a problem with getting flavor deep into a pork butt, I inject, rub, still cannot get deep flavor into a butt. Looking for something else to help.
dannylang

If your looking for more flavor, then after you pull the butt add some of your rub to the pulled meat.

Chris

Give one of these a try...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

POP Sauce

2C Cola
1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Rub, whatever's on the meat.
1T Mustard
1T Molasses
1T Colgin Hickory Liquid Smoke (optional)

Add all to a pot and bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes.
For Finishing Sauce, keep warm and add to meat.
For Marinade, cool for 30 minutes the refrigerate until cold.
Marinate meat overnight.
For Glaze, reduce over low heat until syrupy. Brush over grilling meat and caramelize.
Enough for one average butt.

An IT of 200 is ok IF you plan to Cooler Rest an hour. If you want to cook and eat, go to 205 AND Probe Tender...JJ

I have only been smoking since July. I have done about 5 butts, and done countless hours of research. I can not figure out how I missed this part. For some reason I was working under the premise that "a butt should sit in a cooler for a couple hours" was the standard operating procedures. I guess it just happens so often because of the length of cooking required and lack of ability to predict when it will be done.

I have only been smoking since July. I have done about 5 butts, and done countless hours of research. I can not figure out how I missed this part. For some reason I was working under the premise that "a butt should sit in a cooler for a couple hours" was the standard operating procedures. I guess it just happens so often because of the length of cooking required and lack of ability to predict when it will be done.
Sitting in a cooler/towel is not really necessary unless you are planning to serve a few hours later. It will continue to cook maybe a few more degrees when you do this. I do mine till temp is 200, wrap in foil or an hour, pull and serve. If I go much over 202 it's too mushy for me. Are you using a temp probe?

Sitting in a cooler/towel is not really necessary unless you are planning to serve a few hours later. It will continue to cook maybe a few more degrees when you do this. I do mine till temp is 200, wrap in foil or an hour, pull and serve. If I go much over 202 it's too mushy for me. Are you using a temp probe?

I experienced the overcooking last time I made butts. Made one for the house and one for a friends, put the friends in a cooler for a couple hours waiting for the party and I thought it was too mushy when we ate it. I took it to 207

Yes I do use a few probes, two on the grate and one in the meat. I love that Inkbird i got a while back. Its been solid. The "instant" read from Thermapro has been disappointing, but I digress.

I've brined my last two pork butts and have had excellent results.

8 cups water
8 cups apple juice
1 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup soy sauce

Brined overnight, cooked at about 250, removed at IT of 200, wrapped for an hour and pulled.

Reactions: HHYak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky