Hello from sunny CA.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
2022 Tahoe Califronia.jpg

Well, it's not always sunny in CA, this is Donner Pass (yes the Donner Party, look it up) in NorCal.
Stay frosty, and have a bless'd New Year everyone, I'm going duck and goose hunting in the Butte Sink in Norcal, leaving the house in a few minutes. What are you doing on New Year's day?

God Bless America!!!
Dan.

I can see why the Donner Party had it so rough. . .Yikes!

Today I am going to repair some water damage to the wall in my bedroom. However, I would rather be with you. Your day sounds like a lot more fun.

Enjoy your hunt my friend,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
Dan you guys are getting some crazy weather for sure Out there in CA. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride

Happy hunting and happy new year! Cold and no snow here in Iowa where I live.

Ryan

-24° yet. Just smoking some almonds.
My pup is eyeballing me to go out but I know she will be only a couple minutes before her feet freeze
20211224_103115.jpg

• Haha
Happy New Year from rainy and dreary Virginia. Good luck with the hunt, I’m spending my last few vacation days watching the little ones while my wife goes shopping. Vacation for me is being a single father while the wife gets to enjoy being free for a bit! No complaints, she does it most of the time and I had opportunity to cook/smoke!

Well, the hunting turned into bird watching most of the day, the property next door just flooded their cut and barely harvested corn fields. It was cool to see the ducks and geese hitting it as hard as they were, but it was also the kiss of death for our hunt. We stayed out from sun up to sun down and only killed 7 ducks and one whitefront goose. It was one of those days that should've been an epic hunt, nice north wind and sunny skies.Oh well, I'll lick my wounds and get after them again next weekend.

Dan,

Always keep in mind that any day of hunting is always better than any day of work.

Savor these days (good or bad) my friend, for when you no longer can go hunting they will always be pleasant memories.

Corney? Perhaps, but that is what I have now. Pleasant memories of being in the field with my best friend of over 50 years.

Take care my friend and Happy New Year,

John

Last edited:
Dan,

Always keep in mind that any day of hunting is always better than any day of work.

Savor these days (good or bad) my friend, for when you no longer can go hunting they will always be pleasant memories.

Corney? Perhaps, but that is what I have now. Pleasant memories of being in the field with my best friend of over 50 years.

Take care my friend and Happy New Year,

John
John, I completely get it, after my back injury I had to switch from busting tail walking in with dozens of duck and goose decoys in the cart too hunting smaller spreads close to the truck. Now I appreciate just being there, and working a few birds into the spread with the calls is a big time bonus, nothing better really. I'd do it without a gun if it came to that, and it may, because recoil has been hurting me for the last year or two. I shoot an original Benelli SBE which isn't very recoil friendly. This is my next gun, pricey as hell, but they are the softest shooting 12ga that I have ever shot.
The only reason I’m sticking with the 12ga is I have cases of 12ga steel, bismuth and tungsten ammo, or I would switch to my 20ga Beretta 390 which is only 5lbs, and it's a super soft shooter.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dan,

I also had back issues. . .7 back surgeries. . .Ouch!

I did a great deal of competitive trap shooting in my day and had the luxury of knowing a superb gunsmith. Proper stock fit, backboring, muzzle porting, and a recoil reducer correctly installed in the stock pretty much eliminate recoil.

Over the years I always hunted with a 12 ga. Remington 1100 and 11-87 3" mag. Eventually I switched over to a 12 ga. Winchester SuperX2 which pretty much eliminates most of the recoil.

My Ithaca Mag-10, I had backbored, the barrel shortened, Briley choke tubes, and a recoil reducer installed. Shot like a dream and felt like an extension of my eyes. Sometimes a bit heavy to carry into the field but was always worth it and always my first choice. Made some pretty spectacular shots with that baby.

Well anyway. . .I have my pleasant memories.

John

Last edited:
That doesn't sound so bad to me:
7 Ducks in one day would be doing great around here!!
And I don't have to look up "Donner Pass" I saw an episode on TV about it---I believe it was "Wagon Train".
I think that was the place they had to get through by a certain date, heading west, or they risk sure death!!

Bear

Nd9GcQPhuIKNYwM0N-NmkOxtY4YkzF4yRWQx1W5jA&usqp=CAU.jpg
Speaking of recoil:
My dad was really into shotguns with his friend actor Dub Taylor. Taylor lived and breathed for shotguns. A real fanatic.
I was shooting sporting clays with them in Mesquite Nv and their was a guy in a vending truck selling a recoil absorbing butt plate.
He'd install it on the spot $99. Absorbed 100% of the recoil.
Looked like 2 door stops forming a rectangle attached together with a spring.
Fantastic. Never seen it anyplace ever again.

That doesn't sound so bad to me:
7 Ducks in one day would be doing great around here!!
And I don't have to look up "Donner Pass" I saw an episode on TV about it---I believe it was "Wagon Train".
I think that was the place they had to get through by a certain date, heading west, or they risk sure death!!

Bear
That was between two of us Bear.....out here the limit is 7 ducks, 25 snow geese and 10 dark geese which can be either 10 Canada geese or 10 Whitefront geese/Speckelbellie geese or any mixture of the two to get you to 10 geese. That is a one day possession limit per person, and it's legal to have a total of 3 possession limits as long as they were killed on different days. So you can hunt 3 days or more on a travel hunt and legally bring home 3 possession limits. That would be damn near impossible to obtain limits of ducks and geese out here, ducks or geese is totally doable but not both unless you have BIG money to hunt the million dollar clubs, and they rarely take limits of both ducks and geese on the same day. That is way too many birds to clean in my opinion, I'm happy with 3-5 of each. Or a limit of ducks and a few geese, or vise versa,. I'm not greedy these days, if I get a few of each I'm thrilled and have plenty of meat. I think our goose limits are insane, that is way too many birds.
The goose limit is set to reduce the over population of geese out here, they destroy crops and cause problems with air traffic.

Dan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky