Hello Fellow Smokers I'm a new Smoker from Upstate NY.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ken Payne Jr

Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
I was given a charcoal Smoker (Brinkmen) a few years ago, on two different occasions I smoked a Turkey. They both came out great, but it seemed like a lot of work and was not going to be something I would do after work.

I have since retired doing contract jobs here and there, and I meet a guy that does alot of smoking and he had some fantastic Beef & Pork Jerky. This got my interest back up, so I purchased a 30" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. I have had it for just about 2 weeks now and have used it at least 10 times.

The bigger thing I have done were;
Country Pork Ribs with Jack Daniels Chips and a brown sugar Bourbon Marinade, Boneless Beef short ribs with Apple Chips and Marinaded in Angry Orchard Beer, Roast beef with Hickory Chips and rubbed with Sea Salt / Garlic/ Worcestershire Sauce, and of course I have made some Jerky, todays batch was with Jack Daniel Chips and rubbed with Canadian Steak Seasoning. So far all of these have come out really really great, so I am enjoying my smoker.

I think my biggest problem is my patience, it seems like when I have the temp down below 230 I don't get any smoke but I do because I can taste it, at the moment i start at 275 to really get it smoking then after 15 minutes bring it down to the cooking temp.

When I did the roast beef I was smoking at a temp 0f 220, and trying to get the internal temp up to at least 140 (I would prefer 150) but it never when over 138 after 5 hours, it tasted great and was still moist but I really didn't want to leave it in any longer. I'm thinking next Time I may up the temp for the last 30 minutes just to added a bit more temp

Looking forward to learning alot

Ken Payne Jr

Welcome to the site, just because your not seeing any smoke doesn't mean it's not there.

Chris

Reactions: Ken Payne Jr
Ken , lots of info on Mes on here . Get to know it and read thru some of the mods for smoke at low Temps .

Reactions: Ken Payne Jr
Hello Ken! Welcome from Stokes County, NC. Until last year we had a farm outside Auburn. Where are you?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky