Hearty Maple Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzerru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 14, 2007
Ann Arbor
Just got a hog processed and I needed to clear out some pork from the freezer, so I decided to make breakfast sausage. I still had some maple syrup left over from bacon making, so I used that to give it some sweetness.

95305EE9-FA23-4F94-8E7F-240F904015AF.jpeg

The seasonings laid out for 10lbs of sausage:

1 c Grade B maple syrup
3.25 tbs kosher salt
1.5 tbs mustard powder (I like Colemans)
2 tbs dried, rubbed sage
1 tbs fresh black pepper
1/3 c cream/half and half/milk (any works)
1.5 c chopped onion.
DB078ED9-5EA3-42B7-B152-7FF128D9A736.jpeg

Ground 10lbs of partially frozen shoulder through the coarse and then fine plates. Ground the onion through the fine plate as well.
FB311292-6FC9-47C2-99C7-1B24E99471A6.jpeg

Added the seasonings and cream.
11E46628-2686-4238-A700-1F4F621E42C6.jpeg

Since it was only 10lbs, I mixed it by hand until seasonings were well distributed and it started to bind together.
E6C07FA2-08C5-411A-8270-F27C0C1268A4.jpeg

I had some collagen casings of the proper size on hand, so that’s what I used. Normally I use natural casings but these work out just dandy.
1D3218EB-D4D7-4A9C-A2B5-884AB9AE3A99.jpeg

All stuffed.
72297018-7F29-42C6-BF5A-48D3310CE960.jpeg

Air pockets taken care of with a pricker.
FF496FD0-7923-4648-AF0E-5EAE8E82D2C4.jpeg

Cut into links with a pair of very sharp kitchen shears.
C92DA32D-BAA4-4F42-845E-A786424F85B4.jpeg

Made about 120 links total.
E19ED39C-24CD-4BC5-8FB1-20225E235D8D.jpeg

Test batch cold smoked for 2 hours over cherry wood and then cooked up in a cast iron pan. They were munched on as cook’s prerogative! It had those great, sharp and earthy flavors from the sage and mustard with the sweetness and smokiness of the maple balancing it. Each time I make this sausage, I’m reminded how much I miss it when I don’t make it! Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
That's some good looking stuff right there...

I use Sausage Makers maple/brown sugar premix... Wouldn't mind trying your recipe if you would kindly post quantities of all ingredients...

TIA ...

Very nice! Looks like one heck of a good recipe you got going there

Ryan

That's some good looking stuff right there...

I use Sausage Makers maple/brown sugar premix... Wouldn't mind trying your recipe if you would kindly post quantities of all ingredients...

TIA ...
Sure, no problem! The amounts are now in the original post.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Nice job on the sausage. We make more breakfast sausage than any other kind, however we like some heat in ours & make patties instead of links. But yours looks awesome!
Al

Nice job on the sausage. We make more breakfast sausage than any other kind, however we like some heat in ours & make patties instead of links. But yours looks awesome!
Al
Putting a little kick in it would be great! Though I don’t think my missus and little one would approve. Maybe next time I’ll make two batches...

Nice...... What brand sausage casings did you use. I have some fresh collogen but when you cook them the casings shrink and the meat squeezes out. Yours look like they didn't do that.....

Boykjo

Nice...... What brand sausage casings did you use. I have some fresh collogen but when you cook them the casings shrink and the meat squeezes out. Yours look like they didn't do that.....

Boykjo
Hey Boykjo! I got my casings from Butcher Packer and didn’t have any issues. I hope that helps.

Hey Boykjo! I got my casings from Butcher Packer and didn’t have any issues. I hope that helps.

Thanks, I use B&P 99% of the time. Great quality

Reactions: zzerru
Those look great . I'm with Al , that's what I make the most of . We put the heat to ours also .
Nice work on those .
Last time I ran half the batch thru the stuffer , but no casing . Cut to length and freeze .
Bookmarking this . Thanks for posting .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky