Has anyone Raised/Eaten Muscovy Duck?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Howdy All. My Chickens are old enough to go out to their coop. I was kicking around the idea of adding some Ducks to the mix. My family has decided they are not crazy about the flavor of Pekin, so I was considering the more Beefy Red meat of Muscovy Ducks. My primary desire is Eggs over meat, but was wondering if any one here has eaten Muscovy and your opinions on taste, best smoking/cooking methods or whatever else you can add about raising them. Thanks...JJ

Nobody???...JJ

Had a couple muscovy ducks when we were younger . Remember eating the eggs, but not the bird. Looks like some good recipes, kind of mixed reviews. Sorry not much help.

When I lived in Texas, they were occasional bycatch when we were hunting other waterfowl (there are a lot of feral muscovys around galveston) and they ate ok as long as you kept them pretty rare. Nowhere near as much fat as a mallard, and exponentially less than a domestic Pekin.

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks guys. Worst case, a Fajita, Bulgogi or other strong marinade, should help. There is always Taco meat or Sausage, with Pork fat, can fix anything...JJ

Actually a free range Muscovy duck is excellent. Much less fat than a "domestic duck". And the eggs are great for Scottish eggs. The trick is to find the right time in the steamer before cooling and peeling to be sure is semi soft time before peeling. Chill well and de peel under a trickle of water. Also makes amazing duck breasts grilled due to low fat content. Confit the legs, neck and parts, then grill the legs, and save the leftovers for rilletes. You may need extra duck fat to confit because the Muscovy duck is so less fattier.

What the Chef is asking a question?
Sorry JJ no help we raised some when I was a younger person but don't remember eating then.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky