Hamburgers came out blah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

three2one

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
Kent, WA
They were edible, but blah.

Watched a youtube video that looked tasty so I followed the instructions.

85/15
One egg for binder
Mccormick hamburger seasoning
Worcestershire sauce

Smoker 225F
Water in the pan
Applewood chips
Cooked to 160F

Came out looking grey like the soap bubbles that the old guy left in the airplane restroom as George Carlin would say. Had absolutely no flavor to them and texture was flat.

I know I can do other seasoning, like onion soup mix. That part is curable.

I am just wondering if the water pan was the issue? Should I have not used any water?

I do like my burgers juicy in the center and little crispy on the outside. I can attain that on a grill.

Educate me please.

You need to up the smoker temp considerably to overcome the "grey matter" effect. They may be done, but for best flavor some caramelization needs to happen, aka browning of the meat. I would shoot for at least 300°, if not more on the next batch.

AT that temp you baked mini meat loafs. Burgers need to be grilled. If you want to smoke them for a little bit you can but then put then kick the heat up and get your sizzle on.

Reactions: SonnyE
McCormick seasoning, we used to onion dip seasoning add to the meat, maybe a little s&p and i really like the universal BBQ seasoning is good too in beef burgers But brisket is so much better, and only have minimum water just enough to keep them moist the fat will be able to caramelize with less water stem off.

Well, the first thing I see here is you are making hamburgers in the oven.
Meatloaf comes out good in the oven, but I don't think burgers do, IMHO.
So there is what comes to mind from my old grey matter.
You're learning, I take it.
Hamburger's, to my way of thinking, are best grilled or fried. Hot and fast. That way you can get those char-broiled edges, and when you get your timing right (it sounds to me like you already know how) and the middlin area juicey.
You don't list a BBQ in your tool list, so you might want to add one. Take your pick for the space you have, and what fits in your budget. A small propane portable, or a small charcoal if you prefer, up to whatever you'd like.
Tools....
That's why some of these folks have several grills, BBQ's, and each takes a method or has a specific purpose the user likes.
You have the Smoker. Which in my way of thinking is an outdoor oven, that can infuse smoke. Real smoke.
But it won't do a hot and fast on a good old Hamburger.
So I think maybe that is what you'd like to have. Char-broiled, or Fried is up to you. Both are great in my opinion.
And when seasoning, it's hard to beat Salt and Pepper. If you feel adventurous, Garlic and Onion Powder. Once you get a taste for how much (and initial learning can be as simple as the kitchen shakers grill side), you may grow into a mixture you can have prepared and sprinkle on by the pinch.
It's good you are thinking and experimenting.

I spread out a pound of Burger, put it in my MES 30 for about an hour to smoke it, then went ahead and prepped it like usual to make Jerky out of it. It had a faint smoked appearance when I took it out of the MES. And a mild smokey flavor.
Made a great batch of Ground Beef Jerky.

Just always remember to reach the leathality temperatures of 158°, for a full minute. Which isn't hard to do, you'll find you fly right by that. It doesn't have to be in the smoker, as long as it is hit before the eating.
So grab your spatula and get to grillin or fryin. You know what you like. Now you know the Smoker Oven isn't the right tool. But you tried it, and that's good.

Try grinding up a brisket for burgers. I just did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.
Oh my God, what a fantastic burger!! Also cook them in a CI pan, not on the grate, they stay much juicier!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/usda-prime-brisket-burgers.275028/
Al

Yesterday I was at Sam's Club, alone (Dangerous!), spent a hunnerd dollars. :eek:
But I saw they had Brisket's for sale, $4.95 a pound. :confused:o_O
I moved on down, with blinders on, and found the 80/20 hamburger for half that price.... :rolleyes:
And remarkably, it wasn't "gray" in the middle. (Probably had fresh paint in it.) ;)

At least grinding your own you know exactly what is in it. But the price is hard to chew sometimes. :)

Thanks for all the quick responses. I do appreciate it.

Going to have give the brisket grind a try.

Max temp on the MES is 275. Although it easily goes above that without warning.

I do have a Weber Genesis gas grill, which at the moment is grilling the burgers the way I like them. :) 500F grill and 160F for the meat.

Yeah I am just experimenting with the smoker. I got all summer.

No one seem concerned about the water pan. Should I use it or not with burgers?

Thanks for all the quick responses. I do appreciate it.

Going to have give the brisket grind a try.

Max temp on the MES is 275. Although it easily goes above that without warning.

I do have a Weber Genesis gas grill, which at the moment is grilling the burgers the way I like them. :) 500F grill and 160F for the meat.

Yeah I am just experimenting with the smoker. I got all summer.

No one seem concerned about the water pan. Should I use it or not with burgers?

I only use my water pan as a catch basin to keep juices from hitting the element and making nasty smoke.
I don't even foil it anymore, just wash it with the used smoker racks and mesh.
The water pan also serves to make the heat and smoke spread inside the smoker.

I only use my water pan as a catch basin to keep juices from hitting the element and making nasty smoke.
I don't even foil it anymore, just wash it with the used smoker racks and mesh.
The water pan also serves to make the heat and smoke spread inside the smoker.

Does that apply to all smokes or just burgers?

My personal preference for burgers is a 50/50 mix of beef and pork. 80/20 lean/fat. Season and mix together. Burn them on the Weber or the gasser. Both are fine as long as you run them hot. Also I've found that most of my friends make their patties very small so that by the time they are done cooking they are left with a burger perfect for a slider I make mine about a half pound apiece. When they are done they are a BURGER! You eat 1! Like I said this is just how I do it. Just adding my perspective and giving a little more info for you to figure your next move.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
I made burgers once in my smoker and that was enough. Back to the Kettle.

I use 85/15 ground chuck and a light dusting of MSS. I get a couple charcoal baskets filled with hot briquettes, throw on a couple wood chunks, put the burgers in an oiled paella pan, then onto the Kettle in the pan. Just this evening I turned 5.7 lbs of ground chuck into 10 burgers.

Fresh strawberry shortcake will fill our bellies next as soon as there's some room!

Reactions: oddegan
I made burgers once in my smoker and that was enough. Back to the Kettle.

I use 85/15 ground chuck and a light dusting of MSS. I get a couple charcoal baskets filled with hot briquettes, throw on a couple wood chunks, put the burgers in an oiled paella pan, then onto the Kettle in the pan. Just this evening I turned 5.7 lbs of ground chuck into 10 burgers.

Fresh strawberry shortcake will fill our bellies next as soon as there's some room!
Same here. Much prefer them in the kettle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky