Sloppy Joe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
We haven't had sloppy Joe's in a while, and when we do it comes from the can. So with the rain eliminating outdoor cooking I decided to try my hand at making my own. I scoured the forum and did some google searching and took the parts that I like from a couple of them as well as some of my own ideas.

If I do say so myself - it came out a whole lot better than I thought it would.

First up the ingredients:

2 lbs lean hamburger
2.5 cups beef broth
4 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 small onion finely diced
.5 green pepper finely diced
4 splashes of Worcester sauce
1 small can of tomato paste.
1 cup of ketchup
1 good squirt of dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste(I added it when it when I was letting the joe mix thicken)

In a large COLD pan break up the meat by hand and add all the ingredients. Give the mixture a few good stirs to mix everything up. Turn the heat on low and stir about every ten minutes. Once you see the meat breaking down. Turn the heat up to medium. You want a simmer and not a boil. Cook until you get your desired thickness. If it's too thick add some more broth or water. If it's too thin add a corn starch slurry(I needed about a tablespoon).

Everything in the cold pan:
DSC05289.JPG

All stirred up:
DSC05292.JPG

The heat is on:
DSC05297.JPG

Just about there:
DSC05298.JPG

...and it's time to chow down:
DSC05300.JPG

Time for the close-up:
DSC05303.JPG

It turned out great. A tad spicy hot for my wife, but she did enjoy it. I had two and am packing one away for my dinner at work on Tuesday.

Thanks for hanging with me.

Chris

Last edited:
Looks good Christopher Robbin. I like the recipe. Ours is much more simpler and we use the crock pot.
Thank Banjo man. We used to just open the can and mix it with some ground beef. Couldn't get much simpler than that. I'm really liking homemade.

Looks Great Chris, I have actually never had one before.
Appreciate it Cliff. You got to try it at least once. It's not fine dining, but it's a good way to use up spare burger.

Chris

Reactions: clifish
That looks fantastic Chris. I’d have that sammich for sure. Looks like a good recipe too.
Thanks Eric, I'll probably make a few tweaks next time, but it did hit the spot.

Appreciate the like jaxgatorz jaxgatorz

Chris

Last edited:
Looks great . Love a good sloppy joe . Never had one with chili powder , but I bet that's good .

Reactions: gmc2003
Looks great . Love a good sloppy joe . Never had one with chili powder , but I bet that's good .
Thanks Rich, most of the recipes I found didn't include either cayenne or chili powder, and I figured they'd taste more like Manwich. I was looking for something with a little more bite so I decided to include them. Glad I did.

Chris

Chris

Thanks Rich, most of the recipes I found didn't include either cayenne or chili powder, and I figured they'd taste more like Manwich. I was looking for something with a little more bite so I decided to include them. Glad I did.

Chris

Chris
I would like to try this with smoked chop meat. Like DRKsmoking DRKsmoking just did with his smoked hamburger soup.

I would like to try this with smoked chop meat. Like DRKsmoking DRKsmoking just did with his smoked hamburger soup.
That sounds great. With the not-quite-freezing-rain we got today breaking out the kettle wasn't an option. Besides I don't have a cast iron pot big enough to hold it all for an outdoor cook. I suppose I could pick up something of the disposable variety. One of the tweaks I was thinking of doing next time is to put a little smoke to the onion, green pepper and broth. That would be easy enough and still allow me to finish cooking on the stove. I also have some frozen brisket drippings I could have used. That is if I thought about it sooner.

Chris

That sounds great. With the not-quite-freezing-rain we got today breaking out the kettle wasn't an option. Besides I don't have a cast iron pot big enough to hold it all for an outdoor cook. I suppose I could pick up something of the disposable variety. One of the tweaks I was thinking of doing next time is to put a little smoke to the onion, green pepper and broth. That would be easy enough and still allow me to finish cooking on the stove. I also have some frozen brisket drippings I could have used. That is if I thought about it sooner.

Chris
yeah weather is really crappy here too. I would just smoke the meat and finish inside.

yeah weather is really crappy here too. I would just smoke the meat and finish inside.
That would work, but I put the raw meat, and all the other ingredients in the pot and cook it together. The ground beef breaks down in finer pieces that way - no lumps. It's the same thing I do for hot dog sauce or if I add ground beef to my chili. Unfortunately my CI pan isn't big enough to do this.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
That would work, but I put the raw meat, and all the other ingredients in the pot and cook it together. The ground beef breaks down in finer pieces that way - no lumps. It's the same thing I do for hot dog sauce or if I add ground beef to my chili. Unfortunately my CI pan isn't big enough to do this.

Chris
I would actually like to have the meat chunked a bit on a sandwich bun otherwise it would would be like soup and pour all over? Maybe a less sloppy Joe?

Cup of ketchup, can of tomato paste, or did I screw it up somewhere. I did spell ketchup wrong in the ingredients listing. I'll fix that one.

A can a ketchup? Looks like a good recipe
Thanks Adam it still needs a tweak here or there, but it was really tasty.

Chris

I would actually like to have the meat chunked a bit on a sandwich bun otherwise it would would be like soup and pour all over? Maybe a less sloppy Joe?
I totally understand Cliff. It actually stayed in the sandwich rather well. I lost less than a spoonful to the plate.

Chris

Reactions: clifish
I grew up on the stuff. It is better with finer bits of meat, but it needs a stiff gravy (tomato sauce) to hold it all together on the bun. Reduce it well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky