Ham Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trillo15

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Northern BC, Canada
I have a question about ham. We got a pig butchered at the local butcher a while ago, and there were some hams wrapped up in butcher paper. They don't look like they are pre-cooked or smoked, just cured as it is pink. Looks like a picnic ham. If it is only cured (to get the pink color) how do I go about smoking it?

I have done a couple of them already in the smoker, at about 250F to internal temp of 160F (to be safe here in Canada) and I also brined them in a salt solution for 4 days, with the intent of keeping it moist. They all turned out a little dry. I don't want to think that it is just the cut of meat, without hearing from some of you guys as to what you think.

I have added a picture of the last one my boy and I did, so you can see what I am up against. Hoping one of you can fill me in on what exactly it is and how to cook it to mouth watering deliciousness for Easter!

Thanks in advance

20180215_151312.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky