• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ham Questions

trillo15

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 1, 2017
I have a question about ham. We got a pig butchered at the local butcher a while ago, and there were some hams wrapped up in butcher paper. They don't look like they are pre-cooked or smoked, just cured as it is pink. Looks like a picnic ham. If it is only cured (to get the pink color) how do I go about smoking it?

I have done a couple of them already in the smoker, at about 250F to internal temp of 160F (to be safe here in Canada) and I also brined them in a salt solution for 4 days, with the intent of keeping it moist. They all turned out a little dry. I don't want to think that it is just the cut of meat, without hearing from some of you guys as to what you think.

I have added a picture of the last one my boy and I did, so you can see what I am up against. Hoping one of you can fill me in on what exactly it is and how to cook it to mouth watering deliciousness for Easter!

Thanks in advance

20180215_151312.jpg

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Ham only needs to go to 145 to be safe, after that your just drying it out.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.