HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
HOLD ON FRIENDS ...
The vac bag doesn't work to my satisfaction... I realized I could not rotate the vac-bag due to the holes... I couldn't "over-bag" it because the entire bag had not been "sterilized" with vinegar....
SOOOOOOOO, I rebagged in a 2 1/2 gallon zip bag so I could rotate it....
I thought the vac-bag idea was soooo coooool, I didn't think it through...
Aww,damn.I thought it was cool too.Oh well,it'll still get the DaveO vaccine next time.:D

I REALLY like the way the pellet dust gives off smoke... This 40-40-20 mix smells sooooo good.....
The flash sure makes the smoke look thick... but it ain't....

Pellet dust 003.JPG .. Pellet dust 002.JPG .. Pellet dust 001.JPG

Well that tray only lasted 3 hours.... I forgot to pack the dust down in the AMNPS... Now it's packed tight and a new load of dust is going.....

HOLEY KOW !!!! AWESOME !!!! When it cools in the refer for a day or so, I will cut into it and taste....
10 hours of thin dust smoke... Cooked to an IT of 146... I will test if that was high enough for "tender" meat.... Smoker started out 110-120 for 4-5 hours... up to 140 for a couple... 160-165 final temp for the duration.... total smoker time about 18-20 hours... about 10 ish hours of very thin dust smoke... after smoke was done, I closed down the exhaust to about 10% open to stop the air flow... that stops too much drying of the meat... wrapping in peach parchment would have been very good...
This ham smells soooo good... Never have I used this mix of flavor woods... I'm using it again... If the taste of the meat comes close to the aroma.....
HAM 001.JPG .. HAM 002.JPG

HAM 003.JPG .. HAM 004.JPG

HAM 005.JPG .. HAM 006.JPG

bbl..... Dave......

Thanks for looking.....
edited part..

Last edited:
In the refer.... uncovered and on a rack to "bloom".... Let the flavors mingle... the moisture inside to get homogenized... and coagulate...
I'm thinking that will take 24 hours or so to get the temp, at the bone, to refer temps... Some things can't be hurried...
Nothing about curing and smoking meats is a hurried process... but you already knew that....

HAM2 001.JPG

WOW !!!! The flavor and moistness.... Best ham ever.... I ain't changin' anything....
HAM3 001.JPG .. HAM3 002.JPG

My dog knows the taste of smoked meat... She knows I'm eating fresh ham...
I gave her a taste in the kitchen... So she bumps my leg to let me know she
wants more... What's a guy to do... my best friend gets shared almost what
ever I'm eating.... She's really concentrating on that chunk...
Ham Roxy 001.JPG

Absolutely gorgeous Dave! And the word from people in the know on SMF Ave. say it tastes like it looks...
My dog knows the taste of smoked meat... She knows I'm eating fresh ham...
I gave her a taste in the kitchen... So she bumps my leg to let me know she
wants more... What's a guy to do... my best friend gets shared almost what
ever I'm eating.... She's really concentrating on that chunk...
Sounds all too familiar and I wouldn't have it any other way:D

..... Al, morning... I think you will like it.... Easy and delicious...
Thanks for the recipe Dave!
I bookmarked this one!
Al

.. John, morning.... The older we get, the more we forget...

LOL---I didn't think of that either, until you mentioned it.
Oh Well---Had me going.
Still gonna be another Great Ham!!

Bear

... Do a test or two on a picnic... Like others, you may just like it...

Got 3 hogs raising at my brothers. One of them is mine, but he wants me to do all the curing and smoking for all 3. I need to up my game, and Dave I think your method is going to be put to use!

Aww,damn.I thought it was cool too_Oh well,it'll still get the DaveO vaccine next time.:D

Sometimes one has to make an error to achieve better methods...

Ooh La La... C'est Magnifique!
Can't wait to see the beauty on the inside.

That's beautiful.

Wow ! Fantastic .

Looking forward to sliced pics. Will surely try injecting next ham.

That is an amazing ham Dave! Thanks for sharing the process!

Mike

Absolutely gorgeous Dave! And the word from people in the know on SMF Ave. say it tastes like it looks...

Sounds all too familiar and I wouldn't have it any other way:D

Wow, that is a beautiful ham!!!!! Well done

Thanks very much folks, for watching and commenting... It's enjoyable to make something you can't get at the store... At least not as good as this ham...
Sort of like the sausage we make... "Better than store bought".... Enjoy the finished products you make.. share with friends... and pass on your skills and recipes...

Reactions: foamheart

Sometimes one has to make an error to achieve better methods...

Thanks very much folks, for watching and commenting... It's enjoyable to make something you can't get at the store... At least not as good as this ham...
Sort of like the sausage we make... "Better than store bought".... Enjoy the finished products you make.. share with friends... and pass on your skills and recipes...
Right on Dave.

Reactions: daveomak
This is a must try if you are curing your own hams . The exact injection with the veggie stock and the phosphate . I've used it 3 times . A picnic , a butt and a whole chicken . All three were full of flavor and so moist it spoils you for anything else . The picnic was my favorite .

Dave you perfected something I thought was perfect . I will be adding some mesquite next time .

Thanks CS... Actually, it's a combination of stuff I have learned from many members... The veggie stock was something I stumble upon, trying to make a pork loin edible... The loin doesn't come close, in comparison to the ham...
IMO, the picnic is a much better hunk of meat than the ham... Next I will be testing a butt... It should be darn good...

I haven't tried this with chicken yet. I think I need to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky