Ham Cabbage and Potato Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I couldn't give you the cooking time, but with any moist heat cooking method, the Instant Pot shines. A Boiled Supper or your Cabbage Soup would do well in an IP. My Daughter gave me one last Christmas. We use it pretty frequently for any dish that does not need to be reduced to thicken or concentrate flavor. Yes you can take the lid off a simmer but then you lose the seedy cook advantage...JJ

I always thought of them to be a speedy crockpot. I’m looking forward to hardboiling eggs with them, although the steam method on the stovetop is a pretty good method as well.

Lots to learn and research!

Very nice! I could sure use a bowl or two of that for sure! I love cabbage and even better with some ham!

Joe, that looks fantastic. As soon as all our TG leftovers are gone, I'll make this soup. BTW, my wife and I visited an Eastern European and Russian market on Saturday. They had cabbage heads 1.5 times the size of a basketball! Talk about a bunch of soup!

Very nice! I could sure use a bowl or two of that for sure! I love cabbage and even better with some ham!

Thanks civil, I just finished my last bowl over the weekend. I love cabbage and ham as well. This soup hits all those boxes!

Joe, that looks fantastic. As soon as all our TG leftovers are gone, I'll make this soup. BTW, my wife and I visited an Eastern European and Russian market on Saturday. They had cabbage heads 1.5 times the size of a basketball! Talk about a bunch of soup!

Thank you! The smoked ham hocks make all the difference. It really is a hearty and filling soup good for cold days (have plenty of them!)

If you make it let me know how you like it. That cabbage would be great for homemade kraut too! We see some big heads here but nothing that size!

Love that soup xray! I also remember it from my youth, but have forgotten about it.

Will definitely add it to the rotation for this winter, but unlike previous years we are going to work in a bunch of different chili's. :emoji_wink:

LIKE!

Like the new avatar with both of the puppies...

John

Reactions: xray
Love that soup xray! I also remember it from my youth, but have forgotten about it.

Will definitely add it to the rotation for this winter, but unlike previous years we are going to work in a bunch of different chili's. :emoji_wink:

LIKE!

Like the new avatar with both of the puppies...

John

Thank you John! I appreciate the kind words. I need to do more chili as well. Would love to do a green chili and a texas style chili before this winter is over. If you do them, post them up and give me a heads up! The new format here causes me to miss a lot of great stuff, especially when using my phone.

My wife took the picture of the dogs yesterday with the tree while I was at work. That’s a feat within itself to keep them both still and looking at the camera.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Will do on the chili recipes. We already did a white creamy chili one as a test for a group get together and it is really good. Will post it when we do it officially and give you a shout out!

John

Hm. This is an excellent alternative to the usual Pork Hocks and Sauerkraut. I must try this.

Thanks For sharing!
Mark

No problem Mark! Let me know if you like it. Hocks and sauerkraut is some good stuff too!

That looks really good. I do a lot of soups in the winter. I've been making a lot of fried cabbage with smoked sausage lately. I think I'll make this next. Thanks for sharing.

That looks really good. I do a lot of soups in the winter. I've been making a lot of fried cabbage with smoked sausage lately. I think I'll make this next. Thanks for sharing.

No, problem Steve. Let me know how it comes out when you make it.

Well, I've been itching to make this soup, but not while my wife was traveling on business. The Italian in me only knows how to make enough of everything for an army, and I didn't want to eat soup at every meal for two weeks. She's back, so I'm finally getting around to making the soup.

Going to go shopping today to buy the ham hocks. Plus, I've got some extra ham that needs to get used up for additional protein.

Update: got tied up writing so late start. Going to the store shortly but will make this with chunks of a Costco ham we have in the fridge. Time saver, but not as much flavor. Oooh, but I do have some gelatin in the freezer left over from smoking a turkey. Problem solved!

Well, I've been itching to make this soup, but not while my wife was traveling on business. The Italian in me only knows how to make enough of everything for an army, and I didn't want to eat soup at every meal for two weeks. She's back, so I'm finally getting around to making the soup.

Going to go shopping today to buy the ham hocks. Plus, I've got some extra ham that needs to get used up for additional protein.

Update: got tied up writing so late start. Going to the store shortly but will make this with chunks of a Costco ham we have in the fridge. Time saver, but not as much flavor. Oooh, but I do have some gelatin in the freezer left over from smoking a turkey. Problem solved!

I’ve added chopped and cubed ham when I have gotten hocks that were skimpy on meat. The turkey gelatin sounds like a good idea. Never did anything with the bird gelatin , let me know how it comes out.

My wife came home from work yesterday feeling a bit under the weather. When I told her she was smelling soup as she opened the door, she said "Perfect!" Ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, chicken stock, water, smoked turkey gelatin, and a little salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Added half a rough cut cabbage at the end once the potatoes and carrots were tender. It was friggin' delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

Added half a rough cut cabbage at the end once the potatoes and carrots were tender. It was friggin' delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

Yep...exactly what he said. I made it also as a surprise for my wife on a cold, nasty, rainy day a couple weeks ago and it was a huge hit!! Simple but filling, comforting, and delicious. This one is at the front of the soup section in my Big Black Book. We had about 4 nice sized servings left that went into plastic tubs for Tracy's lunches and it's gone. She asked me this morning if I would please make her another batch this weekend. Of course I will!!

Keeping htis one for posterity,
Robert

My wife came home from work yesterday feeling a bit under the weather. When I told her she was smelling soup as she opened the door, she said "Perfect!" Ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, chicken stock, water, smoked turkey gelatin, and a little salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Added half a rough cut cabbage at the end once the potatoes and carrots were tender. It was friggin' delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

Looks like the turkey gelatin was a success. Sounds like you have a keeper recipe. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yep...exactly what he said. I made it also as a surprise for my wife on a cold, nasty, rainy day a couple weeks ago and it was a huge hit!! Simple but filling, comforting, and delicious. This one is at the front of the soup section in my Big Black Book. We had about 4 nice sized servings left that went into plastic tubs for Tracy's lunches and it's gone. She asked me this morning if I would please make her another batch this weekend. Of course I will!!

Keeping htis one for posterity,
Robert

Simple, comforting and filling. Doesn’t get much easier than that. This upcoming week is another soup week for me.

Came back here from the Haluski Thread.
I can't help but think, a spoonful of Sour Cream would be good here. This looks great...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm very new here, but yes... glad this was bumped. I love me some soup but try to stay away from the fat heavy versions. I'm going to make the original recipe. Looks killer. As to Haluski, I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, and worked in the Hamtramck part of the city before departing for the Navy. Much Polish, Slavic, Eastern European etc etc eats have been past these teeth.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Wow that looks great! Has all I love and I have 2 big ham bones and zip loc bag of ham in the freezer. Was planing on chicken soup tomorrow but I think this one will be first in line. Great job!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky