Haluska

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Maybe some of you guys know I don't but I seem to recall there is a polish noodle type dish like this but uses kraut AND the cabbage.

I was thinking Czech. My grandmother made a dish that was similar, which she called Kapusta. Basically replace the noodles with potatoes, iirc. She would add flour to the bacon grease and cook it to a fairly dark roux. She'd also season with garlic and, I'm pretty sure, caraway. She'd also put marjoram in a lot of Czech dishes, though I can't remember if this was one of them. And she also used curly or savoy cabbage rather than regular.

I've had German Spaetzle with Cabbage and speck before. But not prepared in the same manner. I'm thinking it is a spin off of either a German or Polish dish. Doesn't matter, it looks delicious! And on my radar.

LOVE HALUSKI! Like X-ray talked about, for Polish kids, HALUSKI is Grandma Food that makes you feel Loved! My Polish Wife had HALUSKI growing up too and she requests I make it at least once a month. The version I grew up on is a little different. No Bacon, the Cabbage and Onions are fried in Lots of Butter, S & P until golden brown and sweet. When putting it all together, splashing some reserved pasta water as you mix the Cabbage and Noodles, emulsifies with the Butter making a bit of a tasty Sauce that adds Shine and holds everything together. Dang now I got make some!...JJ

Maybe some of you guys know I don't but I seem to recall there is a polish noodle type dish like this but uses kraut AND the cabbage.

Sounds like Lazanki... Kluski or Medium Egg Noodles with fried Cabbage, Sauerkraut, Mushrooms, Marjoram, Caraway and other herbs/spices. Sometimes Meat, ground Beef Pork or Kielbasa is added...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
There ain't a german bone in my body, but you can't steer wrong with cabbage! AND its that time of year here to harvest cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and Empty out the garden. We used to grow the prettiest tight heads of cabbage, the size of basketballs. But we dod the same nearly with the cauliflower and broccoli. Fried, smothered, even smoked and in soups OMG!

It also likes a whole buncha bacon, how can that no be good!

I don't understand the agriculture marketing any more, all our beautiful stuff get shipped off and all the grocery stores import theirs from the left coast. <Shrugs>

No matter what you call it, that cabbage and bacon you made looks outstanding!

Wow a great looking dish. Not like you post but grandmother the next day after having ham cabbage and potatoes always fried the left overs together. Was a great dish in my book.

Warren
Thanks!
It looks to me like this is something that could be made a hundred different ways and all good :-)

LOVE HALUSKI! Like X-ray talked about, for Polish kids, HALUSKI is Grandma Food that makes you feel Loved! My Polish Wife had HALUSKI growing up too and she requests I make it at least once a month. The version I grew up on is a little different. No Bacon, the Cabbage and Onions are fried in Lots of Butter, S & P until golden brown and sweet. When putting it all together, splashing some reserved pasta water as you mix the Cabbage and Noodles, emulsifies with the Butter making a bit of a tasty Sauce that adds Shine and holds everything together. Dang now I got make some!...JJ
The Mrs. is Italian/Irish so where she got this is a mystery. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh thing or maybe it's the couple of years she spent in Germany with her Ex.
My parents or grandparents never made anything with cabbage that I can remember, which is odd because we're mostly from German....
I like the butter idea and it never occurred to me to use the pasta water for anything.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Sounds like Lazanki... Kluski or Medium Egg Noodles with fried Cabbage, Sauerkraut, Mushrooms, Marjoram, Caraway and other herbs/spices. Sometimes Meat, ground Beef Pork or Kielbasa is added...JJ
THANKS. I think that's it! We make the haluska exactly as you do here with butter. The girls destroy it. I put a hurt on it too if a sausage is nearby LOL.

SmokyMose SmokyMose Agree it's probably good anyway its made.

Not like you post but grandmother the next day after having ham cabbage and potatoes always fried the left overs together.
Mind blown. Totally stealing this! THANKS.

Wow a great looking dish. Not like you post but grandmother the next day after having ham cabbage and potatoes always fried the left overs together. Was a great dish in my book.

Warren

We do that here too. The kids call any meat, Corned Beef, Ham, Pork Goodie or Kielbasa, simmered with Cabbage, Potatoes, Carrots, Onions and Celery, a Boiled Supper.
I cook 5 pounds of Potatoes and a large Cabbage, so we deliberately have left overs to Pan Fry Crisp, a couple days later. Bev likes that better than the Original meal....JJ

Oil is tasteless. Butter, my fav, or Bacon Grease are classic for best flavor. Fry, med/high, until golden brown, soft and tasting slightly sweet from natural caramelized sugars.
I cook a Lrg Sweet Onion and about 2 pounds of Chopped Cabbage ( small head), with 1 stick of Butter, for each Pound of Noodles. Generous S & P.
If using Bacon, for Grease, add the chopped Bacon at the end. A teaspoon of Caraway Seed added is common, but not in the HALUSKI I grew up on...JJ

100% absolutely correct! I can’t eat this without thinking of my nana. I grew up very close to where JJ previously lived in PA. We ate this cooked with butter too. It was made the exact same way JJ described but the addition of some pasta water sounds like a stroke of genius.

Thanks. Fry up the boiled supper same way? With butter? If so, this is sorta crazy because we slather butter on boiled supper when we eat but leftovers get pitched minus the meat usually. Caraway addition sounds killer to me and I am probably gonna hit mine with sour cream.

• Wow
Reactions: HalfSmoked
This is very similar to a boiled supper. One of my absolute favorites and will be made again shortly.

LEFTOVERS GET PITCHED!?🤯 NEVER!
Drain leftover Boiled Supper, very well, and store in the refer. When ready, Fry in Butter, like Hash, until hot, and the desired color brown.
We pull what's needed, about 2/3, and place on a deep platter or Spaghetti Bowl, meat sliced on a separate platter. Family takes what they like or want and add Butter on the plates. I tend to add More Butter than the rest... Cardiologist be Damned! Any leftover from the Table goes in a Collander in the sink, the remaining from the pot on top and allowed to drain 15 minutes or so to be ready to fry a couple days later.
IF, you added Butter to the whole batch, you will lose a bunch as you drain the leftovers. Use your judgement regarding adding additional for frying. But you will need some butter or fat, so there is no sticking.
Note: The Boiled Supper Broth is a great for Ham and Bean Soup, instead of Water, or to add to leftovers to make ameal similar to your potato Soup,
...JJ

LOL. Take that Cabbage and Potato Soup... Change 4 Cups diced Potatoes to 5 pounds halved Red Potatoes, and Hocks to 4-5 pound Boneless Ham and you have my Exact Recipe for Boiled Supper!!! I feed 5 to 7 adults and plan on leftovers. Too funny how that soup matches what I do....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky