Haluska

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon boys and girls!
It's getting chilly out and I've been seeing some "comfort" dishes lately so I thought I'd share one of our favorites.
My Pittsburgh raised wife calls it Halooshky and I fell in love with it the first time she made it.
It's basically cabbage and noodles.
recipe.jpg
First thing is to fry up and chop 1/2# of bacon and set aside.
(No pics of that but you all know about frying bacon)
Cook up some wide egg noodles and coat with butter.
Saute the chopped onion in the bacon grease.
Add the cabbage and cook that a bit.
onions.jpg cabbage.jpg
Once the cabbage has cooked down some add the bacon and then the noodles.
add bacon.jpg cooking cabbage.jpg add noodles.jpg
Cover and cook on low til it looks pretty. done.jpg
A plateful and a homemade potato roll and apple butter was enough for me.
haluska plate.jpg
Thanks for looking and stay cozy.
Dan

Looks great! I have eaten a ton of that and love it! Coming from the 'Burg I'm sure she has eaten quite a bit of that!

Reactions: SmokyMose
Looks great. I’ve never eaten that dish specifically, but I love cabbage and invent ways to use it in dishes. This is on my to do list now. Are there no seasonings in this? Just bacon/grease?

Reactions: SmokyMose
Looks great. I’ve never eaten that dish specifically, but I love cabbage and invent ways to use it in dishes. This is on my to do list now. Are there no seasonings in this? Just bacon/grease?
Thanks, Edge!
I used about 4 cloves worth of minced garlic from a jar but other than that nothing else. It's a pretty bland dish.
You can add salt, pepper or whatever after to your taste.
I like a few shakes of hot sauce....
Experiment!

Oh my God Dan, that looks SO good. Got any leftovers? I'd dive head first into a plate of that.

Robert
Thanks, Robert!
The beauty of this is that it makes a good side for something else the next day or so, like Kielbasa and fried potatoes.
With just the 2 of us there are always leftovers ....

YOU GUYS BEAT ME!!! We're fairly german here and eat something like this but not heard that name before. I'd say polish maybe? We make this a few different ways but never had it made with bacon. I will have to try that way! THANKS Usual way is with kielbasa and a side of pirogies.

Very nicely done!! My Polish grandmother and mother made Haluski all the time. It's something I grew up on but really appreciated it much more as I got older. Spatzle would work well with this. My grandmother made it with Kluski noodles and on special occasions we would have the fried cabbage with potato dumplings (kartoflane kluski).

Reactions: GATOR240
Very nicely done!! My Polish grandmother and mother made Haluski all the time. It's something I grew up on but really appreciated it much more as I got older. Spatzle would work well with this. My grandmother made it with Kluski noodles and on special occasions we would have the fried cabbage with potato dumplings (kartoflane kluski).
Thank you, Sir!
It seems this could be made a number of ways (like beef stew).
Next time I'll try with Kielbasa and Kluski noodles.
Apparently there are different Kluskis.
klusky.jpg
I went with the Bechtle this morning at the store because I like their Bavarian Style Spaetzle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky