Half a leg of lamb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CharlotteLovesFood

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
England
Woke up and was feeling impulsive again and decided to whack half a leg of lamb on...

20180507_201502.png Rubbed with olive oil, salt and pepper, a generous layer of garlic powder and then covered in a powdered bbq glaze from my butchers. Sat in fridge while I cleaned out the grill. Went on at just above 225° F went on at 7.15am.

Probed at 1hr : 30min (monitoring IT + pit)
IMG_20180507_200133.jpg

Pulled it off and wrapped about 10am (nearly 3 hours later)

20180507_201758.jpg

Unwrapped after an hour...was worried I had cooked it too fast but it seemed all good...
20180507_135446.png
Juicy and I dont like it too pink but dont like it too brown...think this was just right for me.

Next I cut (and pulled as I was using the worst knife ever haha) got some bark/burnt ends or whatever they're called. Popped in the fridge.
IMG_20180507_135827.jpg
When I came to reheat and serve for later...
I popped the lamb in a freezer bag (with a little olive oil, rub & mint sauce) squeezed all the air out, put bag in a pan of water to gently simmer.

Came out lovely and retained moisture. Here's my finished meal...
20180507_185600.png

I was really happy with this one... but if anybody would have done it differently I am more than happy to accept pointers...

P.S thanks for reading

Awesome Charlotte, looks great, and a good way to reheat.
you’ve done great!

What’s next on, pork butt? You’ve cooked nearly every day since joining, havnt you?

Awesome Charlotte, looks great, and a good way to reheat.
you’ve done great!

What’s next on, pork butt? You’ve cooked nearly every day since joining, havnt you?
Thank you fellow firestarter!
Only twice with the fire box that's all that counts haha.
I do have a butt as it happens but I'm out of coal pretty much o_O

Reheating Sous Vide style is always a winner. Meat stays moist better than any other method. SWMBO got me one for Christmas and I've almost worn it out.
Oh so that's what it's called... Yeah I was really impressed and that was just using freezer bags. So I may just have to invest in the real deal soon then :D

Thank you :D I can't believe I have never heard of this method before now...have I been living under a rock?! :rolleyes:
HAHAHAHA...

We got turned onto it by a friend to cook the best filets. We have had some amazing steaks finished off in a cast iron skillet. I am perfecting my reverse sear technique though. Nailed it perfect once with 2 misses in there! But I have yet to toss any Prime steaks at it thus far. The sous vide steaks have only been Prime.

It's took me a couple years to perfect it the normal way! Haha.
I'm just itching to try reverse sear now...again something else I didn't know about...all in good time though of course. I don't want to get too big for my boots just because I've smoked twice and it went okay :oops::D

Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
Stay at it Sister! It’s all building blocks. As suggested in many places throughout the forum. Don’t be afraid to take notes of your cooks. It does help.

My current thermometer has a cloud storage and all my notes go directly into my cook sessions.

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
You are killin it. That lamb and chicken looked perfect. You will have no issue with a butt. It will be a long smoke, just keep your temps in the smoker.

Golly Charlotte, it's been decades since I've had any Lamb or Mutton.
But I always loved it with a bit of mint sauce. Deeeelishous!
Looks Great!

Thank you :D I can't believe I have never heard of this method before now...have I been living under a rock?! :rolleyes:

Well, not under a rock.... but most certainly on an Island... ;) :D
I got myself a relatively inexpensive controller,
And use it with a simple old crock pot to Sous Vide. (Note it is not the digital kind. Just simple so it can be cord controlled.)
But more was so I could also use it with my modified MES 30 sm00ker, for cold smoking. (Less than 100° F, 50° C)
So it is a two for one for me. ;) And far less expensive than the Sous Vide machines.
I'm always thinking outside the box.:)

You are killin it. That lamb and chicken looked perfect. You will have no issue with a butt. It will be a long smoke, just keep your temps in the smoker.
Thanks Adam for such a positive comment :D
Yeah it is the length of time a butt takes than I'm dreading, think I'm getting the hang of the temps now.

Well, not under a rock.... but most certainly on an Island... ;) :D
I got myself a relatively inexpensive controller,
And use it with a simple old crock pot to Sous Vide. (Note it is not the digital kind. Just simple so it can be cord controlled.)
But more was so I could also use it with my modified MES 30 sm00ker, for cold smoking. (Less than 100° F, 50° C)
So it is a two for one for me. ;) And far less expensive than the Sous Vide machines.
I'm always thinking outside the box.:)[/QUOTE]

I love Lamb...usually do it in the slow cooker and serve with mashed potatoes, cabbage and mint gravy. It was nice for a change to switch it up with salad... especially because it's scorching in England at the moment, which is rare for us!
I did do a mint sauce and was really surprised to find I didn't need it, so thats a first!

That is not a bad idea and it's always good to be thinking outside the box. Thanks for the info and encouragement, much appreciated :D

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky