Guess what is on the menu for this weekend? with poll so you decide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What shall I make with this?

• Kiszka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blutworst

• Drisheen

• Black Pudding

• Morcilla

• Friends with the vampires next door

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i am not seeing anything good coming from it. but i'm in to see
110.gif

looks to me like your gonna make a concoction to attract fish-your poll is missing (CHUM)

I have made all of these sausages before, and way better than catfish. My favorites are Irish Black pudding and Kiszka. I am always surprised by how many people eat a nice steak with blood oozing from it, but seem to be replused by blood sausage, which is completely cooked. Don't get me wrong I love a great steak, but I also love the velvety texture of a good blood sausage.

KISZKA....Definitely Kiszka. Have not had this in 40 years. My Dad was crazy about it sliced and fried. As a kid it was too strong a flavor but I imagine my tastes have changed. There is a lot of stuff I eat now that you could not pay me to eat as a kid...JJ

Last edited:
We call it "blood sausage" but could never really get into the flavor of it. Have never seen it in a bucket before we got ours when we slaughtered the hogs. It was always done before I got there so never knew how the did  it. Yep fully cooked also. good luck Shannon let us know how it comes out.

I saw it made a couple years ago. The chef used my stuffer as a funnel really and filled hog casings. They looked like purple balloons. He hot bathed and then congealed it in the freezer. I spoke to another guy that made it and he congealed it then stuffed it.

As adventurous as I may be when it comes to trying sausages, my family is quite reticent about anything associated with BLOOD sausages.

I'd have an easier time selling them on the gastronomical glories of canned haggis than I would of eating blutwurst. 

biggrin.gif

Kevin

2 1/2 quarts pork stock
2 lbs bone-in pork shoulder chops
5 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
1 tablespoon minced garlic, plus
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon salt, plus
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
natural hog casing (37 mm size)
1/4 lb very fresh pork liver (never frozen)
7 cups freshly cooked rice
2 cups chopped green onions (green part only)
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 cups very fresh pork blood (kept well chilled but never frozen)
Directions:
Combine 2 quarts of the pork stock with the pork steak, onions, 2 1/2 teaspoons red pepper, minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a Dutch oven or large saucepan.
Bring to a boil over high heat; continue boiling for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally (turn the meat periodically if not totally submerged in the liquid) and adding more stock or water near the end if needed to keep the meat covered with liquid.
While the meat is cooking, assemble meat grinder and prepare the casings: Choose long pieces of the casings so that you have more control over the size of the links that you wish to make.
Soak the casings in cool water about 5 minutes (more soaking will make the casings very tender and prone to bursting) about an hour in advance of stuffing to remove the salt on the outer surface.
Rinse under cool running water.
To remove excess salt from the inside, hold one end of a casing in place on a faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water to fill the casing with liquid.
If you spot any holes in the casing at this time, discard or cut the damaged bit off.
Remove from faucet and squeeze out water; cover the rinsed and drained casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
Transfer cooked meat to a bowl to cool, leaving the pot with the boiling stock over high heat.
Add the liver to the pot and cook about 3 minutes, turning meat once if it's not completely submerged in the stock.
Remove pot from the heat, remove the liver and set aside.
Strain the stock, reserving it and the strained onions and garlic separately.
Cut the pork meat and liver into about 2" cubes, discarding the bones.
Grind the meat and fat in a meat grinder, using coarse grinding disc (about 3/8" holes).
In a large bowl or pan, combine the ground meat, rice, reserved onions and garlic, green onions, parsley, garlic powder, 1 cup of the reserved stock and the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt; mix thoroughly (mixture should be moist and taste peppery. If red pepper taste is not clearly present, add a little more. If not moist, a little more stock or water may be added, but take caution that the mixture isn't runny).
Stir in pork blood, mixing well.
While the mixture is still hot, fill the casings and make links by twisting the sausage two or three turns at the points where you wish them to be (a 4-inch link is a good snack or lunch size, but smaller ones make good hors d'oeuvres).
Carefully place the sausages in a large saucepan or Dutch over.
Cover with reserved 2 cups stock, adding water if necessary to cover.
Heat over high heat until water reaches 180F (just below a simmer, keeping at that temperature to prevent the sausages from bursting) and continue cooking until the sausage is heated through and the flavors blend, 15 to 20 minutes.
Drain and let rest about 15 minutes before slicing; serve immediately.
If you don't plan to serve the boudin right away, immediately pack it in Ziploc bags and give it a rapid cooling in an ice water bath for about 90 minutes or until a thermometer reads 40F or less.
Poaching the boudin before the rapid cooling will give it a longer life.
To reheat, poach in 175F to 180F water as directed above.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/red-boudin-boudain-rouge-cajun-blood-sausage-104491?oc=linkback

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky