Ground beef for Hamburgers composition question, no chuck available...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jceroli42

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Morning All,
I'm down in Central America - can't find ground chuck. Looking for some solid alternatives:
1) ground beef to make burgers. Any recommendations are appreciated.
2) percentage of each meat
3) I home cure my own bacon, have ends - have heard many add to their ground beef, how much percentage, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance and stay safe...

For our best burgers we use 3 1/2 lbs. of ground brisket with 1 1/2 pounds of ground pork belly. My wife likes a really greasy cheeseburger every once in a while & this is the combo she likes. The ground meat & a couple of slices of Swiss cheese on top.
Al

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
For our best burgers we use 3 1/2 lbs. of ground brisket with 1 1/2 pounds of ground pork belly. My wife likes a really greasy cheeseburger every once in a while & this is the combo she likes. The ground meat & a couple of slices of Swiss cheese on top.
Al

Wow, that sounds decadent. I must try that...

JC :emoji_cat:

80/20, 85/15, is as low as I would go. Reality, Grind what you can get at a good price. More active muscle, has a beefier flavor. Shank, from the lower Legs, Chuck Short Rib or any Short Rib meat, Plate (belly meat) like Flank and Skirt, ALL great choices as is or blended with Brisket, Round and Sirloin, my Dad's favorite for its Beefy Flavor...JJ

Add me to the list for grinding brisket! Makes killer burgers. Not sure how things are priced down there but short rib is a good choice too

A good all around and cheap (at least here) is to get a whole Beef clod and grind it up. May also be sold as as Shoulder clod. Its probably the least expensive cut, and flavorful too. Makes great burger. it made up of the shoulder tender, the top blade and the clod heart. And is often broke down and sold as individual cuts
Since this is a larger primal cut you may be able to find it a bit more easily down there.

Add me to the list for grinding brisket! Makes killer burgers. Not sure how things are priced down there but short rib is a good choice too

Brisket and short rib mix is possibly the best burger I have ever eaten but I want to try SmokinAl SmokinAl beef and belly burgers.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky