Grinding Pork Tenderloinp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
My wife and I are attempting to eat a bit healthier, she is following a strict 2 week no red meat, but can have pork and chicken, Im trying to support cooking less beef, our Harris Teeter has whole pork tenderloins on sale for 1.79lb. Picked up a 7.2lb one for $13, normally they are 3.49lb.

Figured great price, cut up a roast or two and then thought well she can have pork, why not grind some of the tenderloin up, I can combine it with ground chicken or turkey for burgers, meatloaves, meatballs, etc.

How well does a pork tenderloin grind? I dont plan on trimming the thin fat cap off, there really isnt much on this particular piece.

Thoughts?

By the weight I'm thinking you mean pork loin. Not tender loin. I've ground tender loin before to make oriental pork balls for soup. There was enough fat for that. You may need to add fat for grinding loin depending on what you are planning to do with it.

Sorry just the loin, grew up calling that particular piece of meat a tender loin

Thanks

Loin was tenderloin and tenderloin was mousemeat, goes back to when I hunted and butchered our own deer. What dad always called them

Gotta watch the labeling. They often mark boneless Loins as "Tender Loin" which means one thing and Tenderloins are marked "tenderloin" which means something else. Very common with the marinated offerings where the loin has been split longways, so it about the same size and shape as a tenderloin and the marinade obscures the meat just enough it is hard to tell what it is at a glance.
Same is done with chicken. you may have Chicken Tenders, which are actually just strips of breast and Chicken Tenderloins, which are the skinny long muscle next to the bone underneath the much larger breast meat.

I've been using Pork loins to makes sandwiches .
If you get a whole loin , the part with the light and dark meat is the best in my opinion .
I smoke until an IT of around 140 . I usually do that the day before . Then slice cold and use veg. stock to reheat the slices on the stove . It cooks down to completely tender . I use a jar of giardiniera in with the stock . Just a slow heat , not boiling .

20221230_153340.jpg
20221230_175439.jpg

I use pork loin a lot as the lean portion of sausage and salumi. And it’s great to cook with.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky