• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edco101

Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
IM thinking of converting my gas grill into a smoker as it maintains an optimal smoking temperature of 225 when burner is set to low.

my only challenge is how to incorporate the smoke, i tried many other options around the web such as pellet tubes and smoking boxes, but they arent the best so id like to propose an idea and get you guys thoughts: im thinking of placing a cast iron pan full of chips on the side burner, and somehow channeling the smoke that it generates into the grill itself.

any thoughts on if this is a good idea, and how i might go about chaneling the smoke.... would need some type of tube....

I haven't used one myself, but I've seen lots of folks on here give a lot of good reports about the amaze-n-tube. My only question, which can probably be answered by someone who has experience with the product is if a gas grill is going to have enough air flow to keep the tube lit.

The next option I could see would be to do a mailbox mod similar to what the MES guys do.

Curious as to why a pellet tube isn't working for you,it is by far the easiest and most effective way to generate smoke in your situation.

I haven't used one myself, but I've seen lots of folks on here give a lot of good reports about the amaze-n-tube. My only question, which can probably be answered by someone who has experience with the product is if a gas grill is going to have enough air flow to keep the tube lit.

The next option I could see would be to do a mailbox mod similar to what the MES guys do.
Thanks for the response , I’m wondering if there’s a way to heat up the chips on the grill side burner , and channel the smoke into the grill chamber using a plastic tube or something

Curious as to why a pellet tube isn't working for you,it is by far the easiest and most effective way to generate smoke in your situation.
It does work , however call me old fashioned, I prefer wood chips over pellets lol

A metal funnel sitting on top of the pan with a metal tube running into the BBQ, maybe thru the rotisserie hole?
Sounds like a good POA ...gotta research sizes on this and keep you posted on how it goes!

Since you already have a burner going inside the grill, put the chips on it.

I use to haul dead deer in the back of my 79 chevy Chevet, it worked but not as well as a pickup, dont expect smoker taste out of it,

Temp & Smoke are only 2 parts of the overall equation. There's something to be said about the fuel that's being burned and the results of your smoked foods. I personally prefer the taste and smoke that a charcoal smoker provides after using a pellet burner for years.
There's also propane fueled smokers that a lot of people use, so your idea isn't too far out there. They heat a pan full of chips too.
If you want to try and convert look up a 'mail box mod'. Something like that might be doable to pipe smoke in to your grill.

Reactions: edco101
I've tried a pellet tube on my gas grill. Problem I experience was the fact that all the pellets in the tube burst into flame when I opened the lid. Someone on SmokingMeats suggested I put the tube inside a pan that I can cover when I open the grill but I have not tried it yet.

Reactions: edco101
It does work , however call me old fashioned, I prefer wood chips over pellets lol
Then buy a smoke maze they work with chips and dust or make a smoke bomb out of an old tin can. Fill it with chips and cover the open end tightly with foil and only pop a few small holes in it so it smolders instead of burning then set it right on the burner. I've done this thousands of times and it works great. I used a 2.5lb commercial kitchen size tuna can and it produced good smoke for hours.

Last edited:
I use my 2-burner gas grill as a smoker quite often. I remove the lower grate and the flame diverter and space an 8" cake pan half full of water on one burner and a steel sheet I throw pellets and chips on over the other burner. Both about an inch above the burners. Get the chips smoking and the water bubbling on high and then run 'em on low only afterwards. The burner on the water pan I run at about a 50% duty cycle and the chip side at ~33%. Put the meat on the top grate. If I work at it I can maintain 225F pretty well; if I concentrate on my drink instead 250F is a good working number. Chicken thighs and a small pork loin are so easy this way and it's the way I prefer doing burgers and dogs too. Clean up is easy; everything's at waist level.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky