Greetings from Oregon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunbearCrafts

Original poster
Jun 20, 2019
2B8C0E5B-6790-47FE-A89D-46C960672CE9.jpeg 06DEF20E-9B0C-4CF5-AE63-342E8B268F4F.jpeg 1E6024A9-2E45-4FA2-B655-19BCEED178FA.jpeg
Hey y’all! Just stumbled on this page and am super happy I did!

I’m currently living in Springfield, Oregon, but am originally from Los Angeles and have lived in Utah and New Jersey as well!

Barbecue has ALWAYS been and always will be my absolute favorite food to eat, to cook, and to share and enjoy with others!

Wouldn’t consider myself a Newbie per se, but I’m definitely nowhere near “Pit-master” either.
I’ve spent a lot of time outdoors and learned how to cook over fire and build and maintain proper cooking fires when I was younger in a therapeutic wilderness survival program. Long story there, but it was CRUCUIAL in my love of over the fire cooking!

I now live in Oregon and have recently gotten my very first home and it amazing came with an above ground fire pit already in the yard and a beautiful garden plot too!

This is the current setup, looking for some help with making my ideas a reality in converting or adding on to this to have a nice smoking pit as well!
Thinking about either opening this on one side and building out a rectangular pit of the smoke to make it an overall “keyhole” kind of shaped structure with A hanging pulley system over to raise and lower the smoker grates and cover.
I have a lot of ideas in my head just need help making them a reality by turning to you all for help on making sure my design doesn’t just end up looking good, but functions just as great!

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from Middle TN! I have no idea how you could convert that into a smoker. Smoking food needs some type of closed chamber with vents so the food will take on smoke. If it were me, I would buy a dedicated smoker, and use that pit for grilling, and a place to sit around a nice cozy fire. Hopefully someone with more experience on here can give you some pointers. Very nice pit btw!

Reactions: SunbearCrafts
Welcome from Middle TN! I have no idea how you could convert that into a smoker. Smoking food needs some type of closed chamber with vents so the food will take on smoke. If it were me, I would buy a dedicated smoker, and use that pit for grilling, and a place to sit around a nice cozy fire. Hopefully someone with more experience on here can give you some pointers. Very nice pit btw!
Yes, that is exactly why I want to build an extension on/next to it that would be the smoker and this would be the grill/campfire

When you go on the forum at the top of the page you have revolving photos of things some have done it changes all the time for new features.

Warren

Welcome to the site, glad to have ya join up.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky