Hello From Canada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suds15

Original poster
Jul 11, 2023
I just located your site this morning as I was poking around the internet. I am relatively new to the smoking world. I just purchased a Pit Boss vertical smoker. Also using a Weber Genesis 11 with sear plate and smoke tubes. To complete the cooking deck I have a four burner Camp Chef Griddle.
I just started grinding my own burger with our Kitchenaid food processor.
last of all I have been sous voiding for over 5 hrs now and combining many cooking methods around this way of cooking.
Thank you in advance for any help.

My first question is in regard to grinding pork shoulder and making tasty burgers. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum from down south in New Mexico, USA.

Don't know about using pork shoulder for burgers.
Maybe someone else here has done it.
I have switched to grinding briskets for ground beef as many times the price is cheaper than buying ground beef.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Ohio. You found the right place to learn and share anything smoking and much more. I can't answer your question but there many folks here who grind pork for sausage. I'm sure they can and will help.

Welcome to the forum from down south in New Mexico, USA.

Don't know about using pork shoulder for burgers.
Maybe someone else here has done it.
I have switched to grinding briskets for ground beef as many times the price is cheaper than buying ground beef.
Hola
just did a whole brisket into burger a few weeks ago. Added thin slices of bacon to mix. Very good. Best burger yet.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Welcome from Mississippi! If you've poked around a bit you know we like show and tell around here. Look forward to your posts and pics.

Jim

Welcome to SMF from Missouri...

I make a lot of pork breakfast sausage from pork butt and picnic roast. I have made some pork burgers before "for grins" (my late-brother in law liked them). I would grind the pork to a finer grind. Pork burgers tend to get very firm when cooked, more so than beef, so try to make the burger patty as thin as possible to stay away from a "chewy" cooked pork burger. I just eyeball the fat content to get it to about 80% lean/20% fat. I normally seasoned them with SPG, liberally, on both sides. They are a bit drippy when grilling so the seasoning can, and will, partially drip-off.

Reactions: jcam222
Welcome from Kentucky!

I have never used ground pork in burgers, but I do use my breakfast sausage along with ground beef in meat loaf.

My first adventure with pork burgers.
I ground 3 pounds pork shoulder with a half a pound of diced bacon and a cup of cheese curd. Cooked on grill with a dash of liquid butter and a rub of choice. They were very good. Just wanting to tweak it a bit. Still have a few left and will make up a apple coleslaw for added flavour.
I’m always tweaking so just looking for more ideas.

Like turkey burgers go heavy on your favorite rub. Both mixed in and on the outside.

Chris

BC

Do you have any Ingredient ideas for me.
You be surprised and start light SPOG. Then add salt to taste. Like GMC2003 said similar to turkey burger with more flavor. Never understood why fast food never offered pork. I also add soy and Worcestershire to all my burgers.

Reactions: DemonPit
You be surprised and start light SPOG. Then add salt to taste. Like GMC2003 said similar to turkey burger with more flavor. Never understood why fast food never offered pork. I also add soy and Worcestershire to all my burgers.
Like the soy idea

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky