Great Life, Courtesy of Smoking Meat Forums

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have just finished a breakfast of a bacon sandwich with homemade bacon made using techniques I learned from Bearcarver.

Last night, I cooked my first brisket using hints and tips from many members on this site.

These two things made me think about how much I got from SMF. It is way more than just great food.

Yes, the bacon was delicious. However, for medical reasons, we are cutting way back on our salt intake. I was able to use less salt and still get great bacon because I made it myself. That means a lot more than delicious bacon, it means the health of the people I love.

Yes, the brisket was delicious. However, I was confident enough to enjoy the adventure of smoking my first brisket for friends because of what I learned here. That is more than great beef, that is a new experience and great times with great friends.

I have made many great dishes from ideas I got on SMF and have a growing list of more ideas. This is more than great food. This is learning about ingredients, cultures and people.

While on the subject of people, I have met a whole cadre of people who are skilled, fun and generous with their support and knowledge.

I am not able to spend as much time as I would like on the forums but I treasure every moment I get the opportunity to learn, get inspiration and have fun on the forums.

This is much more than a great smoking forum. It is a group of people who have improved my life by expanding my experiences, broadening my horizons, increasing my fun and bringing high quality, healthful food into my world.

From every newbie who brings a fresh view to the mandarins of knowledge who's skills I hope to match someday, I thank you!

Disco

Very nice Disco!

I think I speak for all the folks on here.

Your threads are one of a kind.

I have learned a lot from you & I think you are a great asset to have here at SMF.

I think we have gained as much as you have gained being on here.

I agree this is a great group of people from every background imaginable.

And I feel like we are all family!

A family that just keeps getting bigger every day!

Al

Well said Disco!  Great post!  The folks posting here have become part of my life.  I appreciate all of their insight, experience and enthusiasm.  When a someone has a successful smoke and contributes that success to SMF, I feel proud to be a part of this group. It's a lot more then just smoking meat!
thumb1.gif

Mike

Very nice write up Disco.

I think everyone here can agree whole-heartedly with everything you just said..

-Pit
Thanks, Pit! I have had so much fun courtesy of all you guys.

Very nice Disco!

I think I speak for all the folks on here.

Your threads are one of a kind.

I have learned a lot from you & I think you are a great asset to have here at SMF.

I think we have gained as much as you have gained being on here.

I agree this is a great group of people from every background imaginable.

And I feel like we are all family!

A family that just keeps getting bigger every day!

Al
Har. She Who Must Be Obeyed suggests I'm one of kind but won't commit to what kind! Thanks for the kind words, Al but I have just added my touches to the basics I learned here. 

I know what you mean about a growing family. I keep seeing smokes from newer members that just give me a whole different twist and their stories give me a glimpse of their lives.

Well said Disco!  Great post!  The folks posting here have become part of my life.  I appreciate all of their insight, experience and enthusiasm.  When a someone has a successful smoke and contributes that success to SMF, I feel proud to be a part of this group. It's a lot more then just smoking meat!
thumb1.gif

Mike
Thanks, Mike. However, I guess I am more petty than you. When someone has a great smoke, I am happy for them but have this deep jealousy that I'm not there trying it! 

When I am the proudest of the group is when a friend asks where I go to get information on smoking and I send them to SMF. They always come back in awe at all the knowledge and information here.

Disco

Great post, Disco. Probably the biggest kick I get from SMF is interacting with folks from all States of this Union and also The U.K. (like a guy called Disco in the Canadian Rockies). We all have more in common than cooking. That's just what brings us together....
Dan

You can really see it if you look at how our "lost" members are remembered. 

Scarbelly

richoso1

ronp

just to name a few..

Great post, Disco. Probably the biggest kick I get from SMF is interacting with folks from all States of this Union and also The U.K. (like a guy called Disco in the Canadian Rockies). We all have more in common than cooking. That's just what brings us together....
Dan
Nicely said!

Well said Disco ! Thumbs Up I can't add much that's not been said, so I'll just say that I've had the great fortune of making some friends on this forum ! There's always someone willing to lend some help ! The folks on here are top notch ! Thumbs Up

Well said Disco !
icon14.gif
I can't add much that's not been said, so I'll just say that I've had the great fortune of making some friends on this forum ! There's always someone willing to lend some help ! The folks on here are top notch !
icon14.gif
And none more top notch than Justin!

Great post Disco.  I couldn't have said half of what you did.  Hell, I probably wouldn't even have thought of half.  LOL. 
thumb1.gif

I still can't believe my good luck when I chanced upon this forum.  I've never belonged to a forum before and wasn't looking to join one.  My loss would have been beyond measure had I not taken the plunge and joined.  I just can't say enough good about the members here.

Gary

Great post Disco.  I couldn't have said half of what you did.  Hell, I probably wouldn't even have thought of half.  LOL. 
thumb1.gif

I still can't believe my good luck when I chanced upon this forum.  I've never belonged to a forum before and wasn't looking to join one.  My loss would have been beyond measure had I not taken the plunge and joined.  I just can't say enough good about the members here.

Gary
You have added much to the SMF too, Gary! Love your posts.

Disco

Disco,
As happens more often than you may know, you've most eloquently summarized my own thoughts about these forums much better than I could have. If I were trying to relate my own experiences, and my appreciation of the fine folks here, I could not have said it better! Even when Mrs. Red rolls her eyes at me for spending time online with what she calls my "Smoking Nerds"', she still freely admits that I'm a much better cook, by far, than I was before finding SMF.

Point to you for saying it better than I could! Thumbs Up

Red

Disco,
As happens more often than you may know, you've most eloquently summarized my own thoughts about these forums much better than I could have. If I were trying to relate my own experiences, and my appreciation of the fine folks here, I could not have said it better! Even when Mrs. Red rolls her eyes at me for spending time online with what she calls my "Smoking Nerds"', she still freely admits that I'm a much better cook, by far, than I was before finding SMF.

Point to you for saying it better than I could!
icon14.gif

Red
Har, Red! I thought I was the only one whose wife chides him for time on SMF!

I hope you know you are one of the Mandarins of knowledge who helped me when I first started and whom I am trying to emulate!

Disco

I hope you know you are one of the Mandarins of knowledge who helped me when I first started and whom I am trying to emulate!

Disco
Glad to hear I'm not alone in hearing " Are you on that smoking site again?! "

:sausage:

Disco,

icon14.gif

Red

Disco

sausage.gif
Har! Maybe we need a support group!

I have just finished a breakfast of a bacon sandwich with homemade bacon made using techniques I learned from Bearcarver.

Last night, I cooked my first brisket using hints and tips from many members on this site.

These two things made me think about how much I got from SMF. It is way more than just great food.

Yes, the bacon was delicious. However, for medical reasons, we are cutting way back on our salt intake. I was able to use less salt and still get great bacon because I made it myself. That means a lot more than delicious bacon, it means the health of the people I love.

Yes, the brisket was delicious. However, I was confident enough to enjoy the adventure of smoking my first brisket for friends because of what I learned here. That is more than great beef, that is a new experience and great times with great friends.

I have made many great dishes from ideas I got on SMF and have a growing list of more ideas. This is more than great food. This is learning about ingredients, cultures and people.

While on the subject of people, I have met a whole cadre of people who are skilled, fun and generous with their support and knowledge.

I am not able to spend as much time as I would like on the forums but I treasure every moment I get the opportunity to learn, get inspiration and have fun on the forums.

This is much more than a great smoking forum. It is a group of people who have improved my life by expanding my experiences, broadening my horizons, increasing my fun and bringing high quality, healthful food into my world.

From every newbie who brings a fresh view to the mandarins of knowledge who's skills I hope to match someday, I thank you!

Disco
Disco- Great post!! 

I enjoy reading your posts along of the others on here.  SMF has helped me develop as a cook/smoker as well.

Without SMF I would never have smoked many of the things I have done.

Thanks and Smoke ON!

- Jason

Disco,

icon14.gif

Red

Disco

sausage.gif

Disco- Great post!! 

I enjoy reading your posts along of the others on here.  SMF has helped me develop as a cook/smoker as well.

Without SMF I would never have smoked many of the things I have done.

Thanks and Smoke ON!

- Jason
I'm with you, Jason. I was foundering with my smoker until I found SMF. I've had so much good food since. For example, I had never heard of a fattie. Hm. I haven't had a fattie in a while ...

I'm with you, Jason. I was foundering with my smoker until I found SMF. I've had so much good food since. For example, I had never heard of a fattie. Hm. I haven't had a fattie in a while ...
Disco- How about eggs, before SMF I would never smoked eggs, now every time we go to a party, people ask for our deviled eggs.  Heck I have had people bring me hard boiled eggs to smoke for them :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky