Got Wood!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ak1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 23, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
After leaving my inlaws house, I noticed some one chopping down a tree. So I stopped to ask what they had. Sugar Maple!!!

Ended up with a piece of trunk 12" thick by 25" diameter. It weighs at least 200 lbs. I love freebie's!

Then later that day, a buddy calls me up and tells me that he cut down an apple tree & I can have some wood.

So, this is what I ended up with;

f56d8e87_S3000029.jpg
e212e2a7_S3000030.jpg

nice score AK!!!  take that maple and make splits out of it, get rid of the bark and all that center stuff where the pith rotted out. save just the nice clean wood and season it for a few months minimum. you have some great smoking there buddy!

Thanks everyone!

I figure I'll be sitting on this stuff until springtime at least.  I'm hoping that the rot in the maple doesn't go too far. 

Great score sure wish we had apple around here

icon_cool.gif

Definatly a great score and I use apple most of the time too. You will love it if you already don't.

Congrats on getting wood AK.

Freebies are the best. From the pic, the maple doesn't look to bad. There's gonna be a little bit that splits to the trash but theres alot of good wood there. Since I am working on my trailer, and its built with a stick burner, I guess I am on the look out for splits again.

If you don't mind, please post back as to how well the maple works for ya.

Aw man, what a score! I sure would love some of that sugar maple! When I got my freebie hickory stump I was like a little kid so I feel your excitement!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Aw man, what a score! I sure would love some of that sugar maple! When I got my freebie hickory stump I was like a little kid so I feel your excitement!
icon_mrgreen.gif
I love freebie wood, and am always on the look out for some. I'm pretty lucky in that where I live there's all kinds of stuff available if you look. Right now I've got Birch, Maple (Sugar & Norway), Apple & Plum. Had a chance a while ago to get some Peach & Pear, but didn't have a chainsaw available.

Great Score!

Split it up and stack it loose, so air gets all around it.  I was told that Oak will "Air Dry" at a rate of 1/4"-1/2" per year, and I would assume Apple or Sugar Maple would be similar.  If you wanted to speed up the process, I bet you could cut up some small chunks, load them on a cookie sheet and into the oven for a few hours.  Worth a try....

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky