Got a a Full Smoker - Whoopee!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What cooks faster a butt bone in or bone out?

• Definately bone out!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm sure it's bone in!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well everything is stuck - hit a major plateau on all the big meats. Sitting at 160°F for about 3 hours now.

I'm wondering now about the bone in / bone out thing. I started the deboned butt an hour before the bone in one and the bone in one is higher than the deboned one. and the bedoned one is in two smaller pieces. I was gonna cut it up and make capricolla but decided to do the experiment instead. Hmmmm we'll see what happens when they're done.

Also been adding three charcoals to the wood tray every few hours. I do miss the charcoal taste from my ECB - but I love all the stuff I can fit in my Smoke Vault. I'm hoping this will be a happy median.

It's done! Time for bed 4am whew!

Here's the finals:
c0d6dcaf_vbattach13551.jpg

b7532319_vbattach13552.jpg

8e499970_vbattach13548.jpg

fd86053c_vbattach13549.jpg

51ee8f83_vbattach13550.jpg

Oh by the way weird thing is the deboned butts finished at the same time as the bone In butt but they were smoking 1 hour less time.

Remaining pics:
41934b76_vbattach13555.jpg

2f31c6ec_vbattach13553.jpg

ebfe9a5a_vbattach13554.jpg

So then the boneless butts cooked an hour faster?

YOU RULE DEBI! Great lookin pics.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
And here I'm thinking I did a big smoke yesterday with a rack of spares, 2 doz ABT's, and some chunked up veggies.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Nope the bone in butt cooked faster and took an hour less time. Not what I expected. I trimmed the heck out of the deboned one, it was in two small pieces and took longer to cook. AND although not surprising the bone in butt IMHO tasted better, pulled easier and had more au jus than the deboned butt.

I also added a few charcoals to the wood tray every hour or so and the smoke ring was fantastic, about 1.5" wide. I really missed that charcoal taste going propane and this makes me a very happy smoker! I also think the charcoal makes a better bark than without it even though it was a very small amount.

Here's what they looked like pulled:

1dc94ac9_vbattach13569.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky