Goose Tenderloin Marsala over Linguini, Caesar Salad, and Triple Berry Zabaione for dessert

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Came back home from a recent trip waterfowl hunting. It's a big shindig/hunt/birthday party that my buddy in Kansas puts on every year. His birthday is in December as well as quite a few of his family so they throw one big party for everyone. He started inviting internet friends from a waterfowl forum and we have had fun every year so he has kept it going. Since my birthday is in December as well, hell yeah I go! We did really well on geese this year. Buddy kept saying that we need a warm up with no ice to really get into the birds. Well that happened this year. 63 Canada geese (2 banded geese), 11 ducks, 2 kegs, and a truck load of laughs! I think my cheeks will be sore for 2 weeks!

So, needless to say, when I got home with fresh meat, I had to cook some! Cousin invited me over with some friends for dinner last night so Goose Tenderloin Marsala it is!

Day 1: 35 geese
IMG_20201210_121432.jpg

two bands on the first day:
IMG_20201210_124932.jpg

I brought a charcuterie board for appetizers. starting left: Calabese salami, Romano cheese, Nduja, Milano, Goose breast pastrami
IMG_1415.jpg

Goose Tenderloin Marsala over Linguini
IMG_20201216_193554.jpg

For Dessert, I enlisted the help of my niece to whisk the custard. She loves to bake, and I try to bake something with her every christmas so tonight was the perfect night. First, prepping the custard cups with washed berries.
IMG_20201216_204407.jpg

Whisking the zabaione in a glass bowl over a double boiler until thick
IMG_20201216_204411.jpg

Toasted almond slivers
IMG_20201216_204416.jpg

The Finale...
Zabaione over Blackberries, Blue Berries, and Raspberries with Turbinado Sugar glaze and toasted Almonds.

IMG_20201216_211350.jpg

Incredible trip, Incredible meal! Great friends to share both...I truly feel blessed!

Last edited:
Wow, what a gourmet game feast, great piece of work, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray!
Congrats on a real successful hunt. That meal is a great end to the hunt--looks mighty fine to me!!
Gary
Thanks Gary!

Awesome great meal. But I would not of had any room for the dessert.

Warren
Ha! Thanks Warren! We also put down 4 bottles of wine. Was an outstanding evening for sure!

Great looking spread! Congrats on the successful hunt.

Thanks Steve!

Delicious looking meal. Nice work and nice hunt!

Thanks Jake!

Keith, I'm totally blown away!! Awesome post start to finish and that meal looks nothing short of amazing. Top it all off with that incredible dessert...I'd stand in line for that one buddy :emoji_wink: Excellent job all around.

Robert

Here is the recipe I use:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicken-marsala-3644736

...with a few changes. I roast 1 or 2 pods of garlic in the oven @375*F. drizzle a little olive oil over each pod, and fill the unused muffin cups with 1/4 cup of water. When the garlic is soft, peel and reserve for the sauce. I add the garlic when the sauce is finished.

After frying the goose meat, I saute 1 med. white onion in the pan, then add the mushrooms.

I thicken the sauce with about 1 TBSP. corn starch in 1/2 cup chicken stock.

I bread the meat first with 2/3 flour and 1/3 corn starch mix, then in egg wash, then in 50/50 Italian bread crumbs/Parmesan cheese fry quickly to med. doneness and remove to sheet pan. When all are fried, move to 170*F oven while you make the sauce and boil the pasta.

Keith, I'm totally blown away!! Awesome post start to finish and that meal looks nothing short of amazing. Top it all off with that incredible dessert...I'd stand in line for that one buddy :emoji_wink: Excellent job all around.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I do like entertaining and cooking for people...especially those that claim they do not like wild game! I get a little satisfaction when their mind is blown away by how good it can be prepared right.
That dessert, while simple, is off the charts amazing! I highly recommend making it. Though it does take some arm endurance whisking the bowl until the zabaione tightens up. Pair it with a good Sauternes wine and it will blown your mind!

Last edited:
That All looks great! Especially the Chacuterie Board. You are quite the master of Dry Cured Salumi. I've never tried Njuda looks interesting ..JJ

Congrats on such a great hunt! That entire meal looks absolutely amazing! I love wild game and think I'd be blown away by the flavor.

Ryan

That All looks great! Especially the Chacuterie Board. You are quite the master of Dry Cured Salumi. I've never tried Njuda looks interesting ..JJ
Thanks chef jimmyj, but I've only been making salami for a short time. Always room for improvement, and so many more salamis to try!! Equalizing the salami in vacbag really helped distribute the moisture evenly. The outer edge softened up and the whole salami is more uniform now..

Man that all looks great! Nice bounty there bet that was a good time!
Thanks SVf! Was a really great trip! I'm looking forward to all the stuff I get to make with the meat!
Congrats on such a great hunt! That entire meal looks absolutely amazing! I love wild game and think I'd be blown away by the flavor.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Give it a whirl if ya ever get some geese...hell it is awesome with just plain ole chicken!

IDS,Great hunt and awesome food !!!!
Thanks crazy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky