Goose Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bspeech

Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Hey All,

Was looking for something new to try to use up some goose breasts from this season. Decided on trying some pastrami and it turned out great so I figured I would share. I did 6 breasts and the proportions listed below for both the cure and the rub were pretty much spot on.

349991-62566b122ea233c5b65cb565c3f2618b.jpg

Cure
-1/2 cup Morton's Tender Quick
-5 Tbsp brown sugar
-2 Tbsp black pepper
-2 Tbsp onion powder
-3 Tbsp garlic powder
-2 Tsp paprika
-2 Tsp ground allspice
Rub
-6 Tbsp black pepper (freshly ground)
-2 Tsp ground coriander
-3 Tsp garlic powder

1. Combine and mix all ingredients for cure. Pack cure on goose breasts. Really be sure to pack it on there. Place goose breasts in zip lock and store in fridge for 5-6 days. Making sure to flip bag daily.

349990-9e9cf5a5e7f1eb88cd62532059779335.jpg

2. After 5-6 days. Remove from zip lock, rinse well and place in bowl of cold water for 1-2 hours. Remove from water and pat dry.

3. Combine and mix ingredients for the rub and coat breasts.

4. Place in smoker until IT hits 150. (approx 3-4 hours) I smoked mine using a mix of hickory and maple. I smoked the first 2 hours around 170 and then bumped it up to 210 for the last 1-2 hours.

349992-0b2b103af83470462c45e7c00f184633.jpg

5. Once you reach IT, remove from smoker, place each breast on a piece of tinfoil, splash with beef broth and wrap it up. I let them sit out for an hour or before I put them in the fridge to cool.

6. Slice thin and enjoy!
349993-02db256d94d21fed0870419fbae97581.jpg

349994-5042841faa55f7be01e9198188ee5e8d.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Bspeech

2 questions is that whole allspice? Also the beef broth for moisture? is it that dry?

Warren
Warren,

Sorry about that, it is ground allspice.

The beef broth was just to help with steaming itself when wrapped in the foil. The breast itself was not dry at all. I have never tried it without using the broth splash and just going straight to the foil wrap. I bet it would still create some juices on its own and be just fine.

Speech

Fine job! I’m a bit afraid of this as I love pastrami but I’m not to big on eating sky rats unless it’s in stick or summer sausage form. I have all my geese commited to sticks but I think I’ll try this sometime in the future.

Fine job! I’m a bit afraid of this as I love pastrami but I’m not to big on eating sky rats unless it’s in stick or summer sausage form. I have all my geese commited to sticks but I think I’ll try this sometime in the future.

You don’t know it yet but you want this.

I had said above that I never heard of goose pastrami (I live a sheltered life :) ) but do make regular pastrami from brisket. I had a brisket in a cure bath to corn and was watching a documentary about pastrami to get some ideas on my eventual cook. Low and behold they talked about the origins of pastrami and how it was probably brought to America by Jewish immigrants from Romania and Greece. Apparently goose meat was one of their favorites and pastrami methods were used to preserve the meat. Since beef was more readily available here, they just started doing it with what they had.

So... bottom line I learned something new. Love to give it a try some time !!

I used bear carvers recipe for curing deer on goose and it was flat out the best way I have ever made goose breasts! All of the gamey taste to goose disappears with using the cure.

I just cover in lots of Black pepper onion and garlic. The Onion and garlic seem to get lost in the smoke flavor of my smokehouse. I'd be interested to see how the coriander adds to it.
img_0960-large.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky