Goose Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What I don't understand is why everyone tries to get rid of the game taste. Hick just go to the store and buy farm raised.

First of all, there is no such thing as a "Gamey Taste" as far as I am concerned. All animals have their particular taste, and yes, some animal's muscle meat has a stronger taste than others. However that shouldn't categorize them as "gamey".

If you had never eaten a chicken you would probably think it tasted "strange or gamey" the first time you ate it. The unaccustomed taste of unfamiliar meats is just a matter of becoming familiar with them. The more you eat something the more accustomed the taste becomes. After all, our entire range of taste is based on what we are familiar with, so from that we establish what we like or don't like.

Enjoy everyone,

John

Last edited:
Yup if you don't like the taste don't eat it why why mess it up with strange sauces and the like.
Anyway everything taste like chicken. :rolleyes: :D

Warren

Bandcollector makes sense.... but I have to be honest I am not a fan of sky rats (Canadian geese). I dont like the way they taste. That’s why I make them into sticks and jerky. Pretty sure you could make a turd taste good in stick or jerky form. But The dogs enjoy the hell outta retrieving them so I’m gonna keep ending up with them in the freezer. I won’t shoot anything I won’t eat so I had to find a use for them. Sticks it’s been!

Attachments

• 2F58AB03-226A-4020-85E8-97C09B9F7303.jpeg
    2F58AB03-226A-4020-85E8-97C09B9F7303.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 26
Bandcollector makes sense.... but I have to be honest I am not a fan of sky rats (Canadian geese). I dont like the way they taste. That’s why I make them into sticks and jerky. Pretty sure you could make a turd taste good in stick or jerky form. But The dogs enjoy the hell outta retrieving them so I’m gonna keep ending up with them in the freezer. I won’t shoot anything I won’t eat so I had to find a use for them. Sticks it’s been!

Hillbilly,

I can appreciate the dogs enthusiasm. My Lab was the same. Don't give up on my recipe below, give it a try. Even the anti hunters and non hunters in my family loved this recipe.

Grilled Rolled Goose/Duck Breasts

Marinate the breasts in whatever you like for at least 24 hours. I have a great one for anyone interested.

Place the breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half almost to the end (butterfly them).

Take them to the grill and open them so that the pocket is on the grill. Grill for a minute or so enough to brown the inside.

Pull off the grill. In the pocket lay a slice of Smoked Gouda, strips of Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, and a slice/glob of Cream Cheese*.

Close the pocket. Wrap and roll the breasts with a strip of bacon to fully close, secure with a toothpick. Place on the covered grill at medium heat for 9 to 10 minutes each side.

Serve with wild rice, a good red wine, and enjoy!

* Any cheese or pepper combination can be substituted to suit your tastes. I have used Jalapeno Peppers and Pepperjack Cheese for a kicked up version of this recipe.

Last edited:
I will have to say that with the grain left in the fields today by modern farm machinery the taste of wild life has changed not as wild tasting as use to be. Even with the available change in the type of crops grown today the deer have changed also. My$.02

Warren

I will have to say that with the grain left in the fields today by modern farm machinery the taste of wild life has changed not as wild tasting as use to be. Even with the available change in the type of crops grown today the deer have changed also. My$.02

Warren
I agree. Living in Illinois, all of the corn the wild life consumes now has really changed the taste. You can really taste the difference in venison from our area that grazes the corn fields all year vs. venison from up north or out west.

I never ate goose, we have tons in our area at the beaches where we can hunt, on Long Island sound, their all over the place.

Like I said never hunted or ate them, some say it very very gamey???

But ya know, maybe making pastrami is not a bad idea.

My question is, are your geese the same as the geese here in Stamford, Connecticut, on Long Island Sound?
Geese.jpg

Canadian geese fall into two categories, lessers and greaters. The only difference is in the size of the bird. Other than that, what matters, as with all animals, is diet. Most geese live on grains and grass. If you like the flavor of grass fed beef, you should have no problem with goose.

I Can get you on some geese at the farm humdinger. We did alright this year dispite the crop fields being switched. Wasn’t set up great this year but they’ll switch them again next year and it should be better.

We shoot our fair share of geese on the farms and I’ve never seen a white meat goose breast before. These geese have thousands and thousands of acres of corn to eat and we hunt a ton of those fields. Heavy corn diet. If I cut into a Canadian and saw a white meat breast I’d probably have a heart attack. Then again I’d probably eat it to!

I’ll try this pastatami recipe after I make the sticks this year. I’ll try to save a breast or two.

Not completely all white but strips of white in them. Could be also some of what is now known as local geese which we now have a lot that don't migrate but stay here year round.

Warren

We shoot our fair share of geese on the farms and I’ve never seen a white meat goose breast before. These geese have thousands and thousands of acres of corn to eat and we hunt a ton of those fields. Heavy corn diet. If I cut into a Canadian and saw a white meat breast I’d probably have a heart attack. Then again I’d probably eat it to!

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky