Glasses

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As of today I've officially joined the glasses wearing club.Even with insurance they are not cheap!
Once you’ve got that first prescription check online folks like Zinni Optical for glasses. Our kids got many pairs there growing up. They still order from them. Cost is far under retail and the quality was always excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
same boat here... I have used readers a couple years, but needed some distance glasses also. Check out eyebuydirect.com
I picked up a couple pairs for about $45 - but my lenses are kinda thin...<-2.0

over 20 years ago my prescriptions were like -9 to -10 and that created coke bottle lenses...had Lasik about 20 years ago and its served me well...but time has taken a toll on the vision.

I'm still using cheaters . I can't see up close for anything . Distance no problem . I can't even begin to look far away through those cheaters . Makes me sick . Gets tough working on stuff , because I have to get the glasses off when I look away from the work .
Tried some bifocals that was a disaster . Could hardly walk . I looked like the scare crow from the Wizard of Oz .

My last pair of bifocals I took back... got dizzy walking, prolly looked like I was drunk. They lowered the bifocal part then I was fine.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
When I turned 40 I went from 20/20 to needing glasses for distance to keep my CDL. I tried contacts for a while but still needed cheaters to read. PITA.
Just use no-line bifocals now. Been past due for new ones for a couple of years now but I hate to spend the money while these still work.
I'll never learn to like wearing glasses, but there are a lot of things I don't like about getting older...

I'm still using cheaters . I can't see up close for anything . Distance no problem . I can't even begin to look far away through those cheaters . Makes me sick . Gets tough working on stuff , because I have to get the glasses off when I look away from the work .
Tried some bifocals that was a disaster . Could hardly walk . I looked like the scare crow from the Wizard of Oz .

I don't remember where I got them, but when I was Chainsaw carving, I found a pair of Bifocal Safety Glasses, with side flaps too.
Only Bifocals that ever worked for me.
Only cost me $20.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
As of today I've officially joined the glasses wearing club.Even with insurance they are not cheap!

Welcome to the club, Norm!!
I've been using cheap Reading glasses from the Drug Store for 35 years.
Started with 1.25---Now I'm at 2.00 magnification.

Bear

Reactions: 912smoker
Yup . I used to get them from work . I just can't get used to them . I have some here somewhere .

Let me rephrase that:
Those glasses were actually;
Upper half just clear.
Bottom Half for my Farsightedness.
I gave them to Bear Jr, because that's another thing he got from me---Same Eyes.
Read license plates @ 80 yards, but can't see much close up.

Bear

I'll going back to lens crafters and cancelling that order!
NEVER buy from Lens Crafters they are crazy high. Go to Walmart their glasses use Nikon lens that come with a warranty that will replace your lens and frames for 1 yr. So if you scratch the lens they replace them for free or if you break the frames they will replace them as many times as you need to in that one yr time frame. They replaced my last set 3 times on the lens and 4x on the frames on my last set. And the Nikon lens are by far the best polycarb lens out there they are smudge resistant and super clear. I'm extremely hard on my glasses as you can see, so I'll never buy them anywhere else. And they are way, way cheaper than len crafters.

Reactions: JLeonard
Been very near sighted since my late teens.
Switched to contacts and good until about 10 years ago.
Yep need the readers. Started at 1x and currently up to 2x for general handyman and 2.5 if i need to read the fine print

Lenscrafters are spot stores. Quality depends on their on site grinder technicians. I got a great pair for my non contact use. Cut $100 from the price to delete bifocals. I don't read when the contacts are out

Well you just have to get older, cause Medicare pays for cataract surgery. Got it done a couple of years ago & have 20/20 vision again. Don’t need glasses of any kind, but I do use # 100 cheater’s to read small print.
Al

Progressive lens wearer. Hate them with a passion. Almost harder to see things very close (tying hooks, cleaning reels, small carburetor work) etc. Have had the bifocals repositioned a few times on different pairs. Just sucks...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky