Giving a brisket flat a try today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
I have a brisket flat on the smoker. Just trying a very basic approach. It is a small, 5 pound, flat.

I put some basic rub on, let it sit for an hour. Smoked with a bit of hickory and alder.

Started at 9AM, thinking it would be 8 hours or so. But it is taking a bit longer, just hit 160 IT and so I wrapped it up in foil. Aiming for 202IT or so and will toothpick test when it gets close. I am going to definitely let it sit before slicing, I have in the past eaten them right off the smoker with not much of a rest and it can be somewhat dry that way.

Here is the meat before I started smoking it

I will add updates with the final result later

Good plan, I have smoked several flats and started used butcher paper instead of foil. Does seem to keep the bark firmer then foil.

so, it is reading like 198 IT but is not passing the toothpick test. Looking for advice if I should put it at temp and hope it tenderizes while resting or keep it going beyond 202 or 203?

Looks like you have a good plan. Keep us updated.

Chris

So, it turned out only okay. The taste was pot roast like in terms of consistency. It is like the connective tissues didn't break down enough.

It was juicy but not as tender as I would have liked. I thought it was in trouble when the IT was over 205 and it didn't seem tender to a toothpick test.

I think next time I will use butcher paper and not foil or just let it go without foiling...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky