Ghost Peppers after only one week.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Many of us have suffered with our ghost pepper plants not producing while every other pepper in the garden if fully loaded. Down here in South Louisiana, temps had elevated as high as 111° just a couple weeks ago. A week ago temps finally dropped to lowers 90s during the day here and now my ghost are not only holding flowers again but actually producing, with more flowers budding. I was so excited I had to share with someone lol. Picture was a little difficult to see all the peppers in this one shot that have formed already in this small area of 1 plant, so they are marked with the red dot. I'm about to be pepper rich with probably at least one more crop before winter really arrives here...happy gardening.

Attachments

• Snapchat-646162992.jpg
    Snapchat-646162992.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 51
The heat and drought killed my ghost pepper plants this year and I actually had to buy some online. 😬

Ugh such a disaster. I literally watered mine every day until the drought was over. I think that's what saved me.
We were placed on a water restriction (still in effect) - absolutely no watering landscape or plants - my beautiful roses are dead too.

Didn’t the blistering heat of the south but we got our July heat and lack of rain in June
The peppers bounced back in July somewhat
My Datil peppers are just starting to ripen some fruit and we’re close to getting frost

You gonna have a bountiful harvest if all those produce! The weather this year has been rough for sure.

Jim

Nice haul .
trying to protect my plants for the remaining peppers to ripen.
Don't wait to long . Pick them green if you have too .
These are from last year . I grew everything but the ones in the bag .
Carolina Reapers in various states of ripe . About 2/3's of the green ones turned on the counter . The cherry red were picked that way . The rest were green when I brought them in .

20221018_170535.jpg

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
We were placed on a water restriction (still in effect) - absolutely no watering landscape or plants - my beautiful roses are dead too.
I saw a documentary on growing plants in the desert. They make a contraption that you put around your plants that will harvest condensation from the air at night/early morning and uses that moisture to water your plants. No idea who makes it though...might want to research that.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I saw a documentary on growing plants in the desert. They make a contraption that you put around your plants that will harvest condensation from the air at night/early morning and uses that moisture to water your plants. No idea who makes it though...might want to research that.
I read something about that years ago when I lived in AZ, but I do not recall the details.

I am going to just go Texas native and let the weeds grow everywhere - they're the only things that grow well here...

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
Nice haul .

Don't wait to long . Pick them green if you have too .
These are from last year . I grew everything but the ones in the bag .
Carolina Reapers in various states of ripe . About 2/3's of the green ones turned on the counter . The cherry red were picked that way . The rest were green when I brought them in .

View attachment 679878
Thanks I will certainly pick the remainder if conditions worsen. Only down to 40° this morning (plants protected) and temps are supposed to trend back up to upper 50s for the low this week. It's a growing advantage we have down in South Louisiana.
This is interesting, I will look it to see what it's about.
I read something about that years ago when I lived in AZ, but I do not recall the details.

I am going to just go Texas native and let the weeds grow everywhere - they're the only things that grow well here...
The weeds are on this side of the river too my friend 😂

Nice
Pepper plans are pretty resilient as long as they don't freeze. get some decent heat and sunshine and they'll shrug off the cool and keep going.

Search "solar still".

Reactions: indaswamp
Many of us have suffered with our ghost pepper plants not producing while every other pepper in the garden if fully loaded. Down here in South Louisiana, temps had elevated as high as 111° just a couple weeks ago. A week ago temps finally dropped to lowers 90s during the day here and now my ghost are not only holding flowers again but actually producing, with more flowers budding. I was so excited I had to share with someone lol. Picture was a little difficult to see all the peppers in this one shot that have formed already in this small area of 1 plant, so they are marked with the red dot. I'm about to be pepper rich with probably at least one more crop before winter really arrives here...happy gardening.
cool. i can't even keep my basil plants happy this year in S Florida.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky