Good news and bad news on the Ghost Peppers...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Well, my order of expensive ($82.50 for "about" 65-peppers = $1.27/pepper) organic Ghost Peppers arrived from Homesweet Homegrown - and about 1/3 of them look like they should have been tossed in the trash.

My count is 44-good peppers on top and 22-not so good / just plain bad peppers on the bottom...
IMG_1926.jpg

I've sent them an email along with this photo and we'll see how they respond.

Definitely disappointing.

If you paid for it online I would also call your CC company and cancel the payment

First I am going to give them a chance to reply and go from there.
Cut the older ones and see it the seed clusters are brown/black/spoiled inside to send a pic to the seller. Definitely, if there is resistance or no response from the seller call your CC company ASAP since it's produce and you can't wait. These pics will make your case being time/date stamped under details of the pics.

Well to my great surprise - I mean it is Friday at 5:00 PM and I am in Texas and they are in Pennsylvania, so it is even later there - the owner wrote back to me and is sending me the equivalent quantity of peppers to replace the bad ones, next week.

Last of the Mohicans! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ouch! Pricey to start with, could have been worse if they wouldn't have compensated you for bad ones.

I'm a bit more pessimistic. I would still call the credit card company and put them on notice. Hopefully the vendor will throw in a few extra and make sure they are fresh. I have a hard time understanding why those were shipped in the first place.

I was a bit worried but they stepped up to the plate so it wont be a bad weekend after all!

I guess I can dissect the bad ones and see what I can salvage for a stove-top hot sauce. I really love the flavor and aroma of ghost peppers more than any other and I always remove the seeds for the hot sauces I make anyways, so whatever I can salvage, I will use.

I am still on the fence as to whether I will attempt a ferment. If there are decent habaneros at HEB tomorrow I will endeavor my first ferment with a mess of them just to get the feel for fermenting. I will stick to my tried and true stove top method for the Ghost peppers.

Last edited:
I'm a bit more pessimistic. I would still call the credit card company and put them on notice. Hopefully the vendor will throw in a few extra and make sure they are fresh. I have a hard time understanding why those were shipped in the first place.
I am sure it was a "worker" that just doesn't give a **** about other people - but I know rich people that have the same disease...

Heat and condensation turns things bad in a hurry . Glad they're making it right .
Even better you gave them the chance .
Last of the Mohicans! :emoji_thumbsup:
I recently had an order from Syracuse casings . Natural hog casings . The day they were delivered it was 102 degrees . I was worried the heat might have effected them so I got one off the top and rinsed it . What the heck ,,,
1694819246690.png
Sent that picture and a respectful email asking their opinion .
That was Friday , and first thing Monday I had a reply apologizing and saying that it was most likely only a couple that were sent wrong , but he was replacing the whole order ASAP .
So I got deeper into the pack , and he was right . The rest were fine . I got back with him and told him only 2 strands were bad / wrong so nothing needed to be done on his end . He told me to contact him on my next order so he could add something to it .
It's all good when you treat people like you want to be treated .

Heat and condensation turns things bad in a hurry . Glad they're making it right .
Even better you gave them the chance .

I recently had an order from Syracuse casings . Natural hog casings . The day they were delivered it was 102 degrees . I was worried the heat might have effected them so I got one off the top and rinsed it . What the heck ,,,
View attachment 676174
Sent that picture and a respectful email asking their opinion .
That was Friday , and first thing Monday I had a reply apologizing and saying that it was most likely only a couple that were sent wrong , but he was replacing the whole order ASAP .
So I got deeper into the pack , and he was right . The rest were fine . I got back with him and told him only 2 strands were bad / wrong so nothing needed to be done on his end . He told me to contact him on my next order so he could add something to it .
It's all good when you treat people like you want to be treated .
Amen to that brother. It is amazing what a person can learn from old age, or not! :emoji_sunglasses:

OK used half the new batch of ghost peppers (seeded) for a small experimental test - I also bought a PH meter. I wanted to test my usual stove top hot sauce recipe instead of just guessing.

Simmered the ghost peppers for 20-minutes with garlic and a few baby carrots then allowed it to cool for 2-hours while the PH meter was doing its initial soak in the storage fluid.

Then put the peppers, garlic and carrots into the food processor with a few spoons of the cooking liquid, 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp of sugar, and 4-tablespoons of Bragg's Apple cider vinegar - and spun it up adding a couple more spoons full of cooking liquid till I reached the consistency I like.

Then calibrated the PH meter and tested the hot sauce - 3.7 PH - near perfect - it tastes fantastic and is still very hot without the seeds.

IMG_1964.JPG

Last edited:
Nice story of great customer service.
That stuff may work as paint stripper.
I did one of the ghost pepper varieties a couple years ago and the flavor was good but way too much heat to be usable for me.
I grew scotch bonnet last year and I love them. Great balance of heat and flavor.
Greenhouse didn't have any this year so I'll try to make starts this winter.

Well, my order of expensive ($82.50 for "about" 65-peppers = $1.27/pepper) organic Ghost Peppers arrived from Homesweet Homegrown - and about 1/3 of them look like they should have been tossed in the trash.

My count is 44-good peppers on top and 22-not so good / just plain bad peppers on the bottom...
View attachment 676166
I've sent them an email along with this photo and we'll see how they respond.

Definitely disappointing.
What a travesty to lose thise peppers. Glad they honored their product ASAP

Nice story of great customer service.
That stuff may work as paint stripper.
I did one of the ghost pepper varieties a couple years ago and the flavor was good but way too much heat to be usable for me.
I grew scotch bonnet last year and I love them. Great balance of heat and flavor.
Greenhouse didn't have any this year so I'll try to make starts this winter.
Strange as this will sound I prefer ghost peppers over habanero peppers - surely ghost peppers are hot even without the seeds but but habanero peppers just seem like a harsh hot to me whereas ghost peppers are hotter but less harsh?

I know its strange...

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky