Getting better bark in mailbox modded MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scrumtiousruckingBBQ

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Any tips for getting better bark in an MES30 with mailbox mod and AMNPS?

I've done 4 rib cooks and 1 pork butt, and i'm having trouble getting consistent bark without skipping a wrap stage. For instance, the ribs I made yesterday were on the smoke for 6 hours straight, no wrap. The bark was pretty good, but the ribs weren't as tender as I'd like. I want to try using the Texas Crutch to get the meat a little more tender, but the bottom line is that at 3 hours I have zero to very little bark on the meat.

Is there a way to speed up bark production? Here are some of my ideas, which I would appreciate having torn apart:

- Start spritzing earlier - normally i give the meat 90 minutes of straight smoke before I start spritzing every 30 minutes
- Light the AMNPS from both ends, would technically double the smoke output
- Reduce airflow a bit; close my MES30's vent to 1/2 open instead of full open
- Put a little water in the drip tray; higher humidity is supposed to improve smoke adhesion or something

Any ideas or advice welcome!

I never spritz,really no need to add water there is enough moisture in the mes, I never wrap with vent wide open . I smoke my ribs at 250 usually takes 6 to 7 hours always happy with the bark I get but we are all different some might say i get to much some might say not enough not sure about more moisture for smoke sticking.

spritzing every 30 minutes

Exactly why they didn't get done in 6 hrs... When you said they weren't as tender as you would have liked in 6 hrs.. Said to myself.. either he's not cooking at temps he thinks he is or.. He's opening the door to much.. every time you open the door to spritz (which is not necessary) you lose about 20 min. cooking time from the heat lose.. it takes that long for smoker to come back up to temp...

If you want tender ribs without wrapping.. read this.. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works.240916/

Exactly why they didn't get done in 6 hrs... When you said they weren't as tender as you would have liked in 6 hrs.. Said to myself.. either he's not cooking at temps he thinks he is or.. He's opening the door to much.. every time you open the door to spritz (which is not necessary) you lose about 20 min. cooking time from the heat lose.. it takes that long for smoker to come back up to temp...

If you want tender ribs without wrapping.. read this.. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works.240916/
Ahhhh.... I was doing more lookin than cookin. Good to know.

Reactions: bauchjw
Greetings Scrum! They hit it above, I definitely wouldn’t worry about spritzing and keep vents open! For friends, no need to spritz, unless you are doing high temps, IMO. Spritzing slows cook down by adding moisture to the surface that needs to evaporate, sugars left behind help the bark. But, I’ve always been happy with the bark and only wrap if I’m holding off serving for over an hour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky