Generating smoke, but not tasting it... what gives?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RobP

Original poster
Aug 22, 2020
Hi, Newbie here! My first smoke using a 12” A-maze-N tube on a Weber Genesis 3 burner grill. Cooked 2 whole chickens and chicken parts 275 for 2 hours. I had smoke the whole time, but I can’t taste it at all. My setup is chicken in the front, heat in the middle and the tube in the back.

I’m thinking the problem is that the smoke is going straight out the back vents of the grill and it’s never really circulating over the meat. I see from this forum that people are using the tube successfully, but it hasn’t worked for me yet. What am I doing incorrectly?

4CE72A26-142C-45E9-9718-7844541BC669.jpeg

Reactions: kruizer
Sadly, those devices don't add much smoke flavor.
You might try a stronger pellet like hickory but with chicken you have to tread lightly as it's easy to overpower the meat.

Reactions: RobP
Would it make a significant difference if I moved the tube to the front or should I place it under the grates? I’m just wondering if the air circulation in a grill allows this to actually smoke the meat?

If possible try starting st a lower temp 200-220 for 45 min or so to give the skin some time to absorb some smoke, then crank it up. Yeah try moving your tube also.

Reactions: RobP
Not a direct answer to your question but you might consider investing in a charcoal kettle grill for your smoking. Relatively inexpensive and the results of charcoal and wood chunks are going to give you what you likely are looking for.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I started out smokimg on a gas grill I used wood chips about a handful of wood chips wrapped into foil packets poked holes with a fork for smoke to escape and i would remover the cooking grate from the burner i was using and rested the wood packet on top for the little heat sheild had the meat on the other side of the grill. But i put the packet up close to the from of the grill so you are probably right about losing your smoke out of the back vent.

Hi, Newbie here! My first smoke using a 12” A-maze-N tube on a Weber Genesis 3 burner grill. Cooked 2 whole chickens and chicken parts 275 for 2 hours. I had smoke the whole time, but I can’t taste it at all. My setup is chicken in the front, heat in the middle and the tube in the back.

I’m thinking the problem is that the smoke is going straight out the back vents of the grill and it’s never really circulating over the meat. I see from this forum that people are using the tube successfully, but it hasn’t worked for me yet. What am I doing incorrectly?

View attachment 459603
Take out the drip pan tray that drains the grease into the cup. Put a baking sheet in place of the cup. Put smoker tube in a bowl or tray on the baking sheet below the burners.

Take out the drip pan tray that drains the grease into the cup. Put a baking sheet in place of the cup. Put smoker tube in a bowl or tray on the baking sheet below the burners.
I’m having trouble visualizing that setup in a Weber gas grill. Have you done this and do you have pictures. Thanks!

I started out smokimg on a gas grill I used wood chips about a handful of wood chips wrapped into foil packets poked holes with a fork for smoke to escape and i would remover the cooking grate from the burner i was using and rested the wood packet on top for the little heat sheild had the meat on the other side of the grill. But i put the packet up close to the from of the grill so you are probably right about losing your smoke out of the back vent.
I haven’t had much luck with smoking chips on the Weber. I like pellets in the tube because it seems to generate smoke for longer periods. But I may try your approach with a heat shield. Thanks!

Not a direct answer to your question but you might consider investing in a charcoal kettle grill for your smoking. Relatively inexpensive and the results of charcoal and wood chunks are going to give you what you likely are looking for.
Good counsel. But, I’ve got a kettle and Weber Smokey mountain cooler. But convenience has become my priority. I just don’t want to invest the time anymore... Thanks!

Reactions: jcam222
I haven’t had much luck with smoking chips on the Weber. I like pellets in the tube because it seems to generate smoke for longer periods. But I may try your approach with a heat shield. Thanks!
I've wanted try the pellet tube but I'm a cheap ass so I could bring myself to buy it when my chips method works even though its only like 10 or 15 bucks lol i always look for use stuffing that at yard sales

Thanks for all the great counsel. I tried it again and setup the tube under the grates in the front of the grill.
3F175BB1-7F84-4FFE-91D9-25CCABFA14EC.jpeg
I got much improved smoke flavor on this test chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky